Sunday, May 13, 2007

Sunday Synopsis

By the numbers..
swim: 6.5k
bike: 414k
run: 53k
turtles saved: 1
bike accidents: 1
season high bike mileage: done!
PB's: 1

Wowsers, what a week. Ok, working backwards, starting with the last one. I PB'd at Mississauga half marathon today. I really kinda, sorta have to laugh at this because it was *totally* unexpected. No taper, large time on the bike, including 165 hilly, chilly, windy K's yesterday, I thought running a 'race' today would have basically amounted to a silly experiment. So with my HRM on one wrist and my garmin on the other, my intention was just to gather data, learn and run hard. Basically, I went out at 4:00/k, took note of my heartrate and pace at every kilometer marker. HR was pretty steady @168-170 for the duration, a tad higher towards the end. This is solid 10+ beats below my LT which is ~182. From the 8k mark on, I kept thinking: "ok, the legs are going to give out now" - they didn't. At the 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15k mark, I thought the same thing, but they were still holding up. Very cool, thank you legs. Slowed a bit from 15 to 19 and tried to come in strong for the last 2. Total time: 1:25:24. Solid.

Logged over 400k on the bike, this was actually my primary goal for the week. I'm continually amazed at how much faster my recovery is and I think a large part of this is due to my extra cycling time and fitness level.
Bike schedule looked like this: tues: 123k wed: 36k on the computrainer (recovery ride) thurs: 90k on the CT (road a loop of Lake Placid) and Sat: 164k.

Bike accident. Pretty much covered it in the last post. I'm so grateful nothing got hurt too bad.

Turtles saved. My yearly save the turtles drive is officially underway. This one was a big sucker that bascially parked himself in the middle of the road. Damn thing must have been 40 pounds. Silly turtle. Got him safely to the pond on the other side of the road.

Run. Missed one scheduled run. Was suppose to run on Tuesday after the bike - looked after the road rash instead and called it a day.

Swim. All is good. Technique feels solid, endurance is lacking a bit, but there is still time to get some extra pool work done. Not worried. Actually, this will be a good week to get an extra pool session or two in - let the legs recover a bit.
C'est tout for now - cheers!

4 comments:

Cliff said...

Dude...congrats. Going sub 1:30 after a long bike ride is amazing.

You are building a big base. I gotta do the same.

U are a good man on saving the turtle.

Will email u later about trainging and what not...

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Congrats on the PB!

I ran the same race, A LOT slower than you! It was my first race though, so now I have a place to go from there I guess!!

Mike said...

Darren- I took you up on you suggestion and cracked a beer...nice!

How in the hell do you crash earlier in the week, ride over 100 miles the day before and then run a friggen 1:25 half mary!? Scary to think what you would have clocked with a proper taper and no injuries.

Keep rocking- obviously, your training is SOLID!!

Reddog said...

Woot! Congrats on the PB and saving the turtle!

Maybe some day the turtle will return the favour ;)

ArrOOoo!