Monday, December 03, 2007

Cheater hours

Wah, wah, wah..
Yes winter is here. Big time. We have snow. We have white-out conditions. We have freezing rain. We have more snow.
Despite the inclimate weather I still squeaked out 4 runs for the week. (3X 60min, 1 X 90min) and actually *doubled* my bike trainer hours to ....
Two!
I'm sort of forcing myself to only workout once a day and keep the weekly training hour to a minimum. Going too hard now will must make me all burnt out by July - not a good thing.
I also managed to do 3 X 15 minutes of weights and core. This got me to thinking, when I think of training hours, I think of 'aerobic' training hours. Stretching (and I stretch alot), core work and weights don't count as part of my training hours. If you include these, you're just padding your hours. Hence, cheater hours. Gosh, I probably could have padded my hours by +20% this week if I included the extra stuff. Aerobic hours - that's where the money is at.

December is here. Just like that. This time last year, I was definately more fit. Just interesting to note that. I'm still hoping to train smarter this year and by the time racing starts - I will be faster. So what's the plan for December? Pretty much more of the same, still keeping the aerobic hours fairly low. I'm offically keeping track of mileage and getting much more disciplined in keeping my heartrate in check. I'll be getting on my bike more frequently. A slow, methodical increase in hours is the plan. The last week of December will be super easy, just in time for Jan '08 - when things start to get interesting.

2 comments:

Cliff said...

Training smarter is a key lesson that we all have to learn :)

I don't know how u run in your area when where there is no sidewalk. Running on the road must be like running on ice :)

Aaron said...

Keeping the work "aerobic" - that's the ticket. Read that Hadd post today, and it basically says the same thing, just in twenty-five short pages...yeesh, not what you'd call "light reading".

Causing me to rethink the logic of tempo runs in December.

And with two kids and a dog, core/weights training isn't "cheater hours" - it's "get whatever you can" hours. :0)