Monday, October 13, 2008

Turned "On"

I need triathlon more than triathlon needs me. Since Muskoka, I've managed to gain a very quick and alarming 10 pounds. Not bad, 2 to 3 pounds a week! My metabolism just hasn't caught up with my current activity level and I apparently lack the self control to EAT LESS!

So clearly something had to be done. So, on October 2nd, after my shortest 'off season' ever, I started training. VERY light training, but training none-the-less. It's unbelievable how much fitness one can lose in a very short time when reverting to being a sloth. I needed a goal. Including Oct 2, there are 91 days left in the year, the goal is to run 100 times between now and then. A quick nod to ST's Paul Devashish for doing this last year as it's the catalyst for me this year. (a 'run' must be at least 30 minutes in duration)
I'm currently on run 13 and today marks my first day EVER of doing two runs in a day. Hey, if I'm going to address my limiter, I gotta pay the piper.

A brief outline of my training plan:
Oct, Nov, Dec: run and swim, focus on running. Currently running with a HR cap of 140, which reduces me to walking hills. Ug. Planning on doing a swim meet once a month from Nov-Mar.
Jan, Feb: early season "A" race. Chilly Half marathon. Focus on running speedwork and laying the base down on the bike trainer.
Mar, April: back to base building, and hillwork.
May - Sept: Threshold and Vo2 work. Muskoka Chase will a B+ race, Peterborough Half Ironman will be a "A" race and it looks like I'm going to do Muskoka 70.3, though I'm lolly gagging on registering. Race wise, it's almost a carbon copy of last year.

Cheers!

2 comments:

Cliff said...

dude...10 lbs? That must be some well earn rest...

we shall chat more after i run my marathon :)

Cheers!

I am itching to go back on the Hockley trail.

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Ohhh I'll see you at Chilly. And hopefuly the peterborough Half Iron...We'll see! Enjoy all that running.