Monday, April 30, 2007

Monday weigh in, April's totals, a new chapter..

Yowie zowie - holy irregular updating of the blog, Batman! A quick recap of last week: jury duty is a drag. This basically sums it up: wait in a large lounge with 150 potential jurors (fortuneately I brought a good book- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini) only to get told that we are not needed today and to come back tomorrow. In the end, I never did get called, but I sure did get some serious reading done!

So between jury duty, work and being away for the weekend, the totals for the week aren't exactly earth shattering. Here the scoop:
swim- 0!
bike: 185k
run: 38k
Hey, sometimes real life messes with my training schedule, just gotta "buck up little soldier" and deal with it.

So April didn't happen exactly as planned. I must remind myself that in the grand scheme of things this isn't a big deal. I'm only in month 8 of a massive 2 year 'base building' phase, so having the odd bad month is not a big deal.
Here's the numbers for April:
swim: 23.9k
spin: 11hr 30min
bike: 300k
run: 173k

May starts a new chapter. Training wise, I'm going to juggle things up a bit, but my basic week will look like this from now until IMLP. Mon- easy swim (2-2.5k), easy run (optional). Tues: long brick (100k ride, 40 min run) Wed: short brick (30-50k ride, 30 min run). Thurs: long brick. Fri:long swim, short run. Sat: long ride/short run. Sun: long run. Once in May and once in June I want to skip Sunday's long run and do another long ride for some tough back to back long ride action. I was thinking of grabbing a couple of fellow tri wienies and ride to Midland (about 190k), stay the night, then ride back the following day. Might be able to talk Cliff into joining me? :)

Last week I promised I'd talk to Hed about race wheels, I talked to "Speedy" the Canadian distributor for Hed and after picking his brain and discussing my needs etc.. I think we/I decided that the Hed 3 carbon would be a good choice. For the record, I'd recommend anyone in the market for wheels to give Paul a call. He spent over an hour with me on the phone discussing my needs, wheels, aerodynamics, racing and sponsorship opportunities. To me, time is a most valuable commodity and anyone who willingly spends an hour with me without having the need or pressure to 'close a sale' is OK in my book. Get in touch with him, through his website here. I'll let you know if/ when I pull the trigger on those bad boys... hmmm... I do have a birthday coming up... :)

4 comments:

Reddog said...

A little "hed" for the birthday perhaps? :0

Now that's what I call livin!!! ;)

ArrOOooOOO!!!

Cliff said...

Jury duty..argh...

u are an evil evil man. Shall see how my base is for May. I will definitely say yes for June.

This Sat, I need to do a long brick. 4 hr bike + 2 hr run. Not sure if I am going up to your area or go to Milton.

I don't know about you but i am sick of riding on trainer. I rode in 9 degrees on Sat. Very doable. From now, all riding is done outside.

Born To Endure said...

I love hed..errr my wheels of course, just picked up my bike last week and MAN do they feel light and fast..oh and they ARE!!!! :-))

Mike said...

Hey Darren,
Just my .02 cents on the race wheels- any chance of you trying a front HED3 before you buy? I had a set a couple years ago and got rid of them because they are a beeyotch in gusty side/cross winds.
You may not have any issues and they are FAST wheels but just something to think about. A regular deep carbon wheel was much easier in comparison - like night and day.
Having said all that..the HED3 does have that *bling* factor eh!?