Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Food!

A quick and simple obligatory post about food.

Triathletes are passionate about their sport. Which, in my opinion, is all due to endorphins, but that's a whole different post. Because most of us train ALOT, triathletes generally like to eat. ALOT. We are constantly fueling the engine and most of us are pretty aware of the stuff we're eating.

Here's a quick and dirty guide on my personal approach:
1) Avoid anything that has to do with the word 'diet'. Throw out that word and adopt 'lifestyle' instead. The entire diet industry (yes, it's an industry) only becomes more prosperous when YOU FAIL.
2) Common sense. Haha. As they say, the problem with common sense is that it's not so common. If I have to tell you to avoid (avoid, not completely forgo) doughnuts, processed food, simple sugars, pop etc... You need more help than I can provide.
3) Veggies. Take 20 minutes once a week and make a LARGE salad. If you make enough, it will last 4 days in the fridge. Bam, you now have a fresh salad four days in a row. Use a homemade olive oil vinagarette for dressing.
4) Again on veggies. Cut up a bunch veggies, throw them in a tupperware and you have plenty of easily accessible snacks anytime. Prepare time: 15 min
5) Fruit. Do the same thing with fruit! Make a huge fruit salad - berries, pineapple, oranges etc.. will all keep for at least 4 days. Prepare time: 20 min.
6) Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Why? That's where all the fresh stuff is!

Done. Not so hard. I could certainly expand and talk about buying locally, watch pesticide use, organics, vitamins, red wine etc.. but honestly, if you can follow the very simple above outline, you've already adopted 90% of a healthy 'lifestyle'. Add some exercise, some quality protein, the odd treat and your set. It's not so hard. Really.

Standard disclaimer. I am not dietician. I'm only sharing what works for me. Ok, all this talk about food has me hungry....

Cheers!

3 comments:

Jon P said...

Hey skeezix... great blog, checked it out after your post on the RR forums. I really enjoy reading other people's experiences, inspires me to make sure I get there someday!

Aaron said...

Add this comment: if you have to read the "ingredients" list, it's not the best choice for you. Come on now, polysorbate 60?

Cliff said...

I will read this post after finish eating my doughnut and big mac :)