Monday, March 10, 2008

Snotcicles at basecamp


Yes, I live north of 49th parallel. Feel free to insert snowshoe, igloo or muckluck related joke here. In case you need more ammo for your salvo, this is pic of the front of my house. Yes, that snowdrift is 2.5 feet from the roof. 'nuff said, fire away. I promise to keep the weather bitching to minimum.. I'll only say, that 2 years ago, I was biking outside at this time and I'm a self-proclaimed fair weather biker!

A fair bit of running recovery this week, made up for it by logging some extra bike time. Stats for the week:
Swim: 5.2k
Bike: 9.25 hrs
Run: 18k (season low!)
This weekend turned into a back-to-back-long session on the bike. Sat and Sun were both 2.75 hr affairs featuring the Ergvideo of Lake Placid. Legs were a tad cranky but managed to average 235 watts on both days. Good stuff.


So my season training strategy is looking something like this: 3 months of 'base'. (done!), 2 months of base + mega hill work (starts tomorrow!), now here is where it gets a tad muddled, the original plan was start LT work in May and steadily increase the duration throughout the summer, but after reading Chuckie V's post on Tabata intervals and doing some research, I'm thinking of delaying the LT work and do 6 to 8 weeks of Tabata training.. then moving to the LT work. Luckily I have some time to figure out what I want to do.


Chuckie's theory is build the foundation (base, base and more base. Base building is basically what I've been doing for 2 + years), put the roof on (extending VO2 max by doing Tabata training), THEN do the LT work (ie fill the house).


As usual the more research you do, the less you know. Anyone else feel like a lab rat around here?













All secure at basecamp. Over.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Exactly - the more you read, the less you know. I can't tell you whether one training method is better than another - I can tell you that the more you read, the more it'll contradict what you've read, and the more difficult it'll be to actually get anything done. Read less.
Train more.
For Tabata, have buckets at the ready. Vomit is not out of the question. In fact, if you don't even get close, you're not trying hard enough.

Cliff said...

Hmm...nothing like puking to know that it is hard training.

I love the base stuff right now. Had a run today. Sitting on my Z1 - Z2.

Nice and easy.

Anonymous said...

I've heard a lot about that Tabata workout lately, curious to see if you feel the benefits a month from now.