Friday, January 26, 2007

Focus & Bonking

Note there is no 'i' in the title.

'Bonking' occurs when you deplete your energy stores, you are basically trying to complete a workout or race with the needle below empty. Generally, it's not a fun experience, power output is minimal and all you really want to do is curl up somewhere, eat some food and grab a nap.

Why am I talking about bonking in January? Usually this only happend during a long bike ride... Well, funny you should mention, but this is a bike focus week. I've been logging some good hours on the Computrainer this week and yesterday's workout was a douzy.
Let me recap the week thus far: Tues: Run 11k (25 min @tempo), 2 hours on the trainer. Wed: Run 9k (trails) 1 hour spinning. Thurs: a 3.5 hour trainer session. (new record!).

The thing about yesterday's workout was not only was it long, it was hard. I downloaded all the RAAM courses for the Computrainer. What is RAAM? Oh, it's a little race where people Ride Across AMerica.... on their bikes. Yea, it's whole new level insanity, which we can discuss at another time. So my thinking is
'hey, over the next little while, I'll plug away on the RAAM courses and eventually I'll be able to say I rode across America in training - so it's virtual riding, but it still counts. So I fire up stage one, (there are 57 in total) and holy crap it's HILLacious. I got more than I bargained for: net elevation was over 1100 meters and that's just net elevation, not even including all the ups and downs on the way. Zoinks. ALOT of hard climbing, I'm talking 15% grades up and out of saddle climbing. Wheeeee!
Average speed for the whole workout was a mere 24kph! Did I bonk? No, but it was close - power output was low and I feeling a little grumpy by the end, but at least I finished that sucker!

So, since Sat, I'm at 12.5 hours of trainer time and I still have 2.5 days to go...

That's all for now. Cheers!

3 comments:

Reddog said...

Man I "bonked" at my 11:15 PM hockey game last Thursday!

Weather sucks, you still running?

ArrOOoo!

Cliff said...

Darren,

We need Ride Across Canada. :) The rockies will be a hell to climb up but it will be a breeze to charge down.

I have an urge to start piling up the volume for my long bike ride. Richard's schedule for long ride is still pretty low (2.5 hr). I might amp that up with the Spinerval DVD.

Crackhead said...

Psycho.