Sunday, June 24, 2007

T-minus 4 weeks..

Did I cook myself?
Could I have done more?
Should I have done less?

Ahh the questions are starting already. The four week 'reality check' can be tough because I think more often then not we ignore symptoms even though they are staring us in the face. So, to answer question one:

Q:Did I cook myself?
A: I'm typing this after a heavy weekend. Fri: 5k swim, run 7.5k (an 'easy' day.... cough) Sat: bike 180k @IM effort, 14k run afterwards. Sun: run 26k
I don't feel cooked, I'm eating very well and slept great last night. I'm actually in a very content and happy zone, so no, I don't think I fried myself. Hopefully by the end of my taper I'll be 'strong like bull'.

Q: Could I have done more?
A: Such a fine line between doing more, absorbing it and not self destructing. The vast majority of my workouts have been at a heartrate of 142 or lower. I've been able to stack on more miles and effectively recover just due to the fact I've kept the intensity low. The whole goal for this year was just to build a bigger engine. I think too few of us think short term, how many people are willing to take an entire year or two just to build their endurance base? The odd thing is, I have gotten faster without doing any speed work. Why? 10 months ago, when I set my HR ceiling, there were many times I had to walk up a hill just so I wouldn't go over my HR cap. Now, I'm easily running sub 5min K's on long runs, with the same HR cap. The effort was the same, but yet I'm faster.
Building endurance through more time on the bike. I can't believe the difference this had made over the last 7 months. The body can absorb alot of saddle of time. If I knew just how readily it does this, I probably would have done even more on the bike, or at least threw in more bike focused weeks in.
Bottom line, I feel really good on where I'm at and I've learned much about myself over the last 10 months. So to answer the question, should I have done more? No, because I didn't know then what I know now.

Q: Should I have done less?
A: Reality check. I'm 39, can I absorb vasts amount of training like when I was 19? Doubtful. However, with acception of April (sick), I've been injury and sick free - good signs. Every 4 th week, I'd cut mileage in half or more, just to rest up. I think the strategy worked. I'm sure the odd extra day off wouldn't have hurt, but on the other hand since I don't think I fried myself, my rest strategy seems to have worked.

Saturday was an awesome day. Rich Pady organized a group ride/run to help raise money for POGO. (the charity I'm raising $$ for) A great turn out, no big egos to contend with, just a bunch tri wienies training togethor and raising some extra dough for the kids. It was a 2X 90k loop affair designed to be as hard as the IMLP bike loop or harder. My strategy was simple: first loop keep HR to 135. Second loop, keep HR below 142. Try to negative split. Nutrition: 6X bottles of Infinit and 3 Power Bars.
Result: even split, almost to the second.
Notes: It's unbelievable how ridiculasly 'easy' you have to ride the first loop in order to negative split the 2nd loop. Scary. First loop 2:51. Second loop 2:51. Total: 5:42. Add race wheels, no traffic stops etc.. my estimated bike split at IMLP should be 5:25 ish. If possible consume 1 more litre of water and 1 more power bar at LP.
After the bike, did a 14k run. Felt very good, got the running legs within 2k and found my groove, kept HR @ 140.
Notes: drink more water! How much of a difference will swimming 4k before the bike make? Mental note, swim SLOW at LP!

A quick 'Hi!' to Stu and his sexsy P2C, you may not know it, but you will do IMC again and you will rock the course. Think about it for '08, I need more training partners! :) And of course Cliff was there grinning the whole time while grinding up the hills. Isn't it funny seeing someone grinning while you know they are suffering makes your own suffering seem not so bad??!

Gotta go EAT - again!
Cheers!

1 comment:

Cliff said...

Those are three good questions that I often asked myself. Hopefully knowing how to nuke myself last year is a good lesson to know when to hold back.

I grin b/c u were the one climbing up third line while I was coming down. On Sat, it was the first time i went down the hockley valley in my aerobar...fast.