Monday, July 02, 2007

Happy Canada Day, Taper, Monthy Totals, WTF are the helmuts?

Hi Canada, happy belated to ya! You're lookin damn fine for 140 years young! You're the best - cheers!

Even though I'm in taper mode, it's subtle taper mode. Last week, I was still loggin some decent miles, but there were subtle differences; increased swim mileage, 1 less workout then normal and a slight decrease in run mileage. I also inserted some higher intensity sessions on the bike. The engine is built, now I'm just fine tuning it.
This week the plan is basically the same: 11-12k swimming, ~300k bike and ~45 running K's. After that, it hardcore taper time..

Not a bad month for June, the log shows:
swim:43.7k
bike: 1465k
run: 249k
Very similar to May, but May had a bike focus week, so this month had about 250k less biking K's, but a slight increase in swim and run totals. Probably should have tried to bike more, but nothing I can do about that now, you can't cram for an Ironman!

It's been a bad week for 'adult' cyclists not wearing helmuts in these parts. I've seen families out riding around, the kids are wearing helmuts, but older and 'wiser' Mom and Dad are not. Boggle. I've seen 'real' cyclists, commuters and Joe-average all not wearing noggin protection. I don't get it. Don't give me the freedom of choice argument - that's BS. Your personal freedoms stop when your stupidness induced brain injury intrudes on my/the publics tax dollars. So suck it up, be a dork and wear your helmut!

T-Minus 20 days..
Cheers!

2 comments:

Born To Endure said...

Exactly!! This is one of my pet peeves...wear your helmets!!!

Anonymous said...

Yep. Wear da hemets and live!

ArrOOoo!