Sunday, June 15, 2008

Muskoka Race Report

What a great day for racing! Who am I kidding, anyday is a good day for racing! Here's the breakdown for the day:

Swim: doh. Terrible! Somehow, while putting on my wetsuit I managed to pop the zipper! A very difficult thing to do and will require a professional to repair it. So now I have no wetsuit and wave starts in 15 minutes... Time to panic? NO! Be calm.... be calm.. think soothing thoughts.
I run all the way back to the transition zone and LUCKILY, D'Ornella's Tri shop had a spare suit they'll rent me. PHEW! The guy, I'm guessing it was the owner, was super cool and totally saved my ass. So a don of proverbial chapeau goes to D'Onella's!
I run back, don the wetsuit and have a quick 5 minute warmup before my swim wave start. Hey, at least I made it.
My navigation was terrible as I forgot set landmark navigation points, having direct sun in the eyes really didn't help so I really was all over the place. All things considered I was about 2-3 minutes off 'my regular' pace.
Swim stats: Distance: 2k Age group placing 4/93th. Overall placing: 39/777. Time: 31:24 Pace: 1:35/100m.
Glad that part is over with... on to the bike..

Bike: For me, the bike was zippy. I'm still learning on how hard to push the bike without blowing up for the run. Now that being said, I decided to push the bike a little harder than usual. Since I started in the 5th wave, there was many people already on the bike course and had I had to pass alot of them! Actually, I was fortunate enough to not get passed once - this made me happy as the work I put in on the bike was starting to show results. I wasn't sure, but I thought I was leading my age group at the end of the bike. (As it turned out I was actually in 2nd)
The stats:
Distance 55k. Age group placing: 2 (!) Overall placing: 18. Time: 1:30:58 . Speed: 36.3
I'm happy with that result as the course is a toughie and it's an improvement over last year.

Run: So, now the question is did I ride too hard? The answer is I did not! Two real highpoints on the run: 1) I was complimented by my fellow athletes 3(!) times on how well I was running! Not only is this a total ego stroke - yet humbling at the same time - it proves to me that even I, a complete non-runner 4 years ago, can transmogrify into an actual runner! Anything IS possible!
The 2nd highlight was when I was passed by Mike Keene, who I noticed was in my age group. Time for battle. It was apparent that Mike can run, so I just wanted to try to keep him in my sights for the last 6k. Soon, he had a 200m lead and no matter what I did, I couldn't bridge the gap. I was running out of steam. The good news is he didn't really extend the gap, so I did have him striking distance - just couldn't close the deal. -This time.
Run stats:
Distance: 15k Age group placing 6/93. Overall 35/777. Time: 1:00:20 (argh, missed goal by 21 seconds!) Pace: 4:02/km.

Final: Time: 3:04:36 Age group placing 3rd. Overall: 21. You know what's funny?? If, me, the swimmer, hadn't screwed up his swim, it would have a 3-way battle royale for the top age group spot! Either way, it was great day and big congrats goes to Eric Fernando who won our age group and Mike Keene who came in 2nd. A big thanks to my wife Sally (my fan!), Canada Post for their continued support, Trisport Canada for putting on a first class event and of course to D'Ornella's bike shop for totally saving my butt today!

Cheers!

7 comments:

Aaron said...

D, that's one kickin' finish time. Nice job. For my own curiousity I have to think that that time would get you just about the pick of a qualifying slot to any race you'd choose. Did you stick around for the rolldown this year?

Cliff said...

Darren,

That's a killer bike time. Especially with those hills there. It looks like your bike strength have improved this season.

Pretty hot in the run :). Good day though!

Born To Endure said...

That happened to me at Steelhead right before the race and had to actually wear my wetsuit with the back wide open for the entire swim. Well looks like you had a GREAT race..congrats!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great race Darren! Too bad about the wetsuit, that probably cost you your age group win. looks like all your hard training is really paying off.

Darren said...

Aaron, wasn't able to stick around for the awards and roll down, it's a loooong process and Sally and I wanted to beat the cottage traffic.

Cliff, yea the bike is coming along nicely. Still amazes me how the pros can hit avg 39 kph on that course!

KS, that too funny! I was standing there with my busted wetsuit and that VERY thing went through my mind! Brrrrrrr.....

Stu.. ah Stu, makes me sad you don't come out and play anymore! Will you still come out and ride with us every so often??!?

Reddog said...

Race well done! Even with all the trials and tribulations...

Great to see results especially when you work so hard!

Was that Mike Keene the hockey player?

Well written. Anyone that can throw a "Calvin and Hobbes" reference into their Blog is alright in my book!

Oh that "rehab man" comment on my blog hurts bro... it really hurts ;).

Eight days and counting to "P" day!

ArrrOOOooo!

Jon P said...

Very impressive time... congrats! An inspiration for sure, just did my first try-a-tri so I've got the bug...