Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sometimes I'm too dumb...

to follow my own advice.
Rewind.

a) What can I do?
b) What should I do?

When training always opt for option b. When racing always opt for option a. Pretty simple.

So last week, I scheduled in a 17 k run with 5X6min hard, 2 min rest interval session. The problem was the previous week was a heavy training week, capped off with a HIM. I should have taken an easy 48 hours to recover. Instead, by Tuesday I'm out there ripping it up. Consequences? Yup. A minor pull in my right calf. Dumb, dumb, dum. So, no running for 72 hours just because I chose the wrong time to push the envelope. The good news is it was very minor pull and now 1 week later - all is good. Lesson learned.
Again.

Stats for the week:
Swim: 10.4k
Spin: 3.5 hrs
Bike: 110k
Run: 47.5k
Did OK, considering I was a dum dum. Thursday was a good session on the trainer. The ol 2X20 min @ threshold on the trainer. I fired up the Ergvideo, set my threshold to 300w (gotta retest that.. soon), and had a great time. Yeah, that's a fun set.
Had a zippy, albeit short swim on Friday. Did a 1k warmup, 10X100m free on 1:30, was banging those off in the 1:15-1:16 range. Easily 2 seconds faster than 'normal'. I blame the pool. It's a newer facility that I occasionally get to and it is a 'fast' pool. Seriously.

Looking forward..
Taking it pretty easy this week as it's a scheduled easy week and I'm hoping that will set me up for the Muskoka Chase which is in .. oh.. what.. 5 days?
Yes!

3 comments:

Cliff said...

Darren,

At least u didnt' pull a groin muscle :)

Enjoy Muskoka.

Mike said...

Hey Darren,
whassup!? Yeah, still alive and kicking down in Oregon. I got your post but had a hard time finding the ole blogger sign on info.
Regarding IMC, yeah, I'll be there again banging it out...hopefully mother nature will bless us with better conditions this year eh!?
Besides the calf issue, it sounds like your training is going well....is your FTP really 300 friggen watts!?! Sheez man, please tell me you weigh 275 lbs so I won't feel so bad about my threshold wattage! ;-) Quite a bit south of 300 my man...keep it rolling!
You can also always reach me at:
mike dot grier at nike dot com Take care!

Aaron said...

Muskoka Chase - gotta get that onto the "to-do" list one of these years. It's too early in the year - the Milton tri just wakes me up and by then it's too late for the chase.

Rip it up, skee - the race not the calf.