Monday, September 08, 2008

Psssst! Wanna tip?

It's been 5 years since I got off the couch and ran a marathon for the 'hell of it'. In hindsight, that definitely falls in the 'what the hell was I thinking department!'. Running a marathon with 3 months of 'training'.. Is. Not. A. Smart move. I took the lessons learned from that mistake and jumped into triathlon the following year. Made some more mistakes, learned some more lessons and of course, repeated some mistakes. Eventually, (ok, so I'm not the fastest learner) I started making fewer mistakes and as a result, this year has been an excellent year. Why is that? Well, hold on to your chair, because I'm going to spill the beans...

Stuff I learned this year:
1) Protein is your friend. Don't short change yourself in this department, your body needs protein to help rebuild from all the damage we do to ourselves from training. Having a serving of protein with every meal has made a noticeable difference in my recovery and general well being. Less/no sickness, giving the body the fuel in needs for repairs = better recovery, which in turn = more training = more fitness = faster times!

2) Intervals. Holy crap, my cycling has improved HUGE this year. Why? Intervals. Riding fast to get fast. Now keep in mind I have a massive 3+ years of base building, so when I started to incorporate speed work into the plan, the effect was huge. Why? The engine was built, it just needed tuning. Once or twice a week, I'd hit the hills or do interval work. I never really got around to do doing V02 workouts (that's for next year!), but I did get alot of time spent at just below FTP - usually 30 to 40 minute sessions. The result? FTP went through the roof and I'm currently able to sustain much higher speeds on the bike for a longer duration. I had the base, I just now had to teach myself to go fast.

I'm trying to come up with a 3rd thing I learned this year, but I'm drawing a blank. They say you should learn something everyday.. hmmm, I think I'm behind the curve on that one. Anyway, if those 2 things make a difference in your future training - then I'll be a happy guy.
Cheers!

4 comments:

AddictedToEndorphins said...

BUT I DONT LIKEEEE PROTIEN
:p
thanks for the tips! Intervals are great!

Cliff said...

Darren,

Don't tell me u find a hill other than Hockley :P.

Btw, i was driving up to Guleph the other day and I think I find a perfect climbing road. It curves up the escarpment. I don't know if it is very cyclist friendly but it was at least 2-3 km up. Grade % ain't that much though (probably 6%). I can't wait to explore that next year..

U might not be the fastest learner but u are definitely getting faster from season to season :)

Reddog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Reddog said...

Woot ! First in your age group 17th overall!

Great season bro proud of ya!

ArrrOOOooo!