Sunday, August 31, 2008

The 3 least important words, Guelph Lake II RR.

It's that time of the year, blogging obviously is starting to take a back seat. I can't say I'm a particularly good or passionate blogger, but I do try to update semi regularly.
Soooo, what's new?
Not much. Training has been going well, been incorporating interval sessions into both bike and running and it's paying dividends. I've been going pretty hard since January and I'm looking forward to the 'off season'!

Moving on.. to the Guelph Lake II Race Report!
I'm throwing out the standard race report template. I secretly harbour ill feelings towards it, because it's so redundant and narcissistic. I think I should probably entitle this one: "Things I thought were cool at GL II. "

Number 1: my wife accompanies me to every race I do. After 5 years, she's still batting 100%.
Number 2: Mark, Lori, Fred, Joanne and Joanne's nephew Jake from Prince George, B.C. actually took time out of their days to come down and watch the race. (cheers guys!)
Number 3: Trisport. From a race director's standpoint, I think this was probably a very stressful day. As usual, Trisport did exceptionally well. Think about this and ALL the headaches, pressure and stress it would entail: short notice venue change. ie: swim location is now at a different beach, race course, transition zone, parking etc.. etc.. now all must be changed. With the change, people are now arriving late. Start time is now moved up. This obviously has a trickle down effect that affects everything down the line. A man collapses and nearly dies at the finish line. Paramedics and fire are called in and apparently revive him, he's currently hospitalized and is going to be OK.
Number 4: In the women 50-54 category, Sheri Fraser smokes the course in 1:31, placing 22nd overall!
Number 5: The prancing and preening of my fellow tri nerds- gives me a chuckle everytime.

So. Even though this is my blog, sometimes it's not about me, myself or I. Which, coincidentally, are the 3 least important words in the English language.

4 comments:

Cliff said...

Dude..u were at Guelph Lake??..I was there watching my friends do their try a tri in the afternoon...

How did you do? :)..i guess i gotta find out by looking up on the race results..

btw..great day for tri...

Anonymous said...

Darren,

Great race, you are going to rock Muskoka. I have been following you for a couple of years, your results this year are quite impressive. I am glad you are no longer in my age group!!!!

Darren said...

:) Thanks 'anonymous'! Next time, leave a name, so at least I can thank you by it - Thanks anonymous just doesn't have a good ring to it!

I see many guys posting some serious times well into there 50's - they give me hope.
Cheers,
D

Anonymous said...

You can still be serious fast in your 50's but don't expect to 'peak' like the genetic freak of nature, Hans. You have started to early :)

Hutch