Monday, February 25, 2008

You can't handle the truth!

Hehe.. a great line. Being a rather self analytical kinda guy, it's clear I'm just not running enough. I put off the big treadmill purchase for a year and in hindsight it was probably a mistake. It's been a real struggle for the last couple of months just to log in 200-230k a month and one thing is for certain, I won't become a runner logging those paltry K's. I thought I was doing OK, considering the retardly crappy winter we've been having, but the log doesn't lie. It will be even more challenging to try increase the running while simutaneously trying to balance the other 2 sports. Such is triathlon.

Le log from last week:
Swim: 5k
Bike: 7hrs
Run: 55k
Notes: My current favorite swim set is 5(400fr, 100bk). It's a pretty easy 2500m, still just concentrating on form and getting into the swim of things.
Bike is coming along awesome. Did the ErgVideo loop of Lake Placid on Saturday and averaged 231 watts - mostly a high Z1 /low Z2 effort with some spikes into Z3.
Did a 5k Z4 effort on Thursdays run. Held my typical 4k/min, but perceived effort was rather high. Should be interesting this Sunday as I'm actually running a race... Yup, the Chilly Half Marathon is this Sunday and it's my last race as a 39 year old. I'd love to PB it, but I think that's asking alot considering I've done zero speedwork and I'm bitchin about my lack of running, but we'll see how it goes.

This sort of drives me nuts. When well intentioned people say they are going to do something, but really it's just talk. Anyone can talk a good game, but the key here is be true to yourself and if you say you're going to do something, then damn well do it!
Be true to your word. Really, it's all you have. (got to give props to my Mom for that.. cheers, Mom :)

2 comments:

Cliff said...

This season is definitely brutal. We get dump on again and again. Aaron asked me about taking up her wife's spot for Half Chili. I am afraid i have to pass.

Take it easy....i look forward to a 8 hr hike once spring rolls around =)

Aaron said...

Talk the talk, baby, then walk the walk. You nailed it - your word is all you have. If you can't look yourself in the eye, then how can anyone else?

As for the race talk, yeah whatever. Another great movie line - "you mean, play basketball?" Woody Harrelson, White Men Can't Jump. I smell the "hustle" coming on here. :)