Thursday, October 11, 2007

2 Month hiatus is over..

Hard to figure out what to say after 2 months of 'laying low'. Basically, I went through a 'triathlon system purge.' Two months of doing anything BUT triathlon. I used the time to rest, catch up on household chores that I somehow managed to put off over the course of the summer, hike, play videogames and log some quality time with Sally. It was a good rest session and my body and mind needed it.

So now I'm back and I'm sure my readership has dwindled from a mere few people to .. oh I don't know.. maybe 3?? Yes, I did get the odd email wondering where the hell I've been - and I believe I'm caught up in that department. As the mind and body are slowly shifting into gear, I'll be blogging and checking my email much more frequently. Promise!

Shh!! SECRIT TRAINING!
Well not really. But it did begin just over 2 weeks ago. Very light, occasional running. Nothing more than 45 minutes, keeping the HR down (very hard to do!), just slowly and methodically increasing frequency of runs per week, stretching and core work. My mind and body are slowly waking up to the fact that off season is over, easy season is in session and regular training will be starting up soon.

Basic highlights for the '08 season: NO IRONMAN (I'll save the whys for a future post), 'A' races will be the Peterborough half and the Muskoka 70.3 and aging up! Yup, I'm at the top of the hill next year at the ripe age of 40.

Other training stuff. I haven't yet, but I think I'll pull the trigger and train with the local masters swim team. Again, running will be a priority this year. Going to do more 'focused weeks' and will try a few months of 1)bike week 2)easier week working on the all 3 sports, 3)run week, 4) very easy week. Slightly different from the build for 3 weeks and rest for 1 week protocol. I'll be introducing speed training, instead of periodizing, I'll be doing a more consistent (but infrequent) speed training - starting in April. Also, throughout the off season I'll be doing wieghts. Hey, gotta face the facts that at age 40 I'm losing muscle mass.

Alrighty, I'm off. It's good to be back!

Cheers!

1 comment:

Cliff said...

Darren,

Was wondering what you are up to.

I am out of the IM for 2008 as well.

My plan this year is to ride outdoor until it snows...interested? :)