Monday, October 29, 2007

Holding steady

As most of you know, October, for me, is pretty much dedicated to slowly acclimatizing my body to the rigours that will applied to it in future training. So to that end, I've very slowly upping my running frequency, doing some weights and the odd bike ride. In a nutshell, that's it.

This week, I'm planning on running 5X, 40min will be the shortest and the longest will 75min. Hopefully get a ride in next weekend and do weights 3 times. I'm not a big fan of weight training, so I only focus on a few exercises (leg extensions for the quads and leg curls for the hammies), core work and pushups. This short session I can bang off in 10 to 15 min. Currently I'm only doing 1 circuit of the above 2 times a week. By the end of the Nov, I'll be doing the circuit twice, 3 times a week. That's it. I think weight training is good tool, but if it cuts into any other swim, bike, run training then it's a no go. That's why the sessions are pretty short.

It's a no go for the masters swim team. Actually, I'm on the list, so the only way I'll get in is if someone drops out. The fact that there is no space available caught me by suprise. I'm thinking about doing a masters swim meet (as an independent) in the spring -just for the heck of it. So for now, I guess when I pick up swimming, I'll be doing it solo again. :/

Went for a ride with Aaron last weekend. We're both in early season, not really caring phase of our training, but before we went, we both agreed that we are not into training if it's crazy cold and raining out. This is a time for fun, not a time for trying to toughen yourself up.
So I setup a ride with half an eye on the weather and things are looking good. Saturday roles around and what do you know, it's cold, it's raining. Damn you Weather Network! The unwritten rule is, if you setup the ride you simply can't not show, that would be very bad form.
Naturally, Aaron shows, remember, this is the guy with who I agreed with NOT to train in cold crappy weather; yet here we are riding in..
cold..
crappy..
weather.
As usual, the tough part was getting going. As usual, I was glad we rode. Typical.

Cheers!

No comments: