Tuesday, October 16, 2007

"Darren, we are riding this Sat.. "

are you in? What the hell, I'm in! Let's not even mention the fact that my bike still had race wheels left on from IMLP - 2.5 months ago! I met up with Aaron and Cliff and rode for 2 hours on Saturday. I'll say two things: 1) I'm glad I left my HRM strap at home (by accident) 2) What is it about group riding that throws every bit of caution out the window? First, we warmed up for about 30 minutes and before you know it I (like an idiot) am out front hammering. (well it felt like I was hammering, average speed says otherwise) I can't shake Aaron, so we mellow the pace for a bit, then what do you know? Aaron is up front hammering - well naturally I must try to keep up - and thus went the ride. Screw heart rate just go out and have FUN. I'm glad I went.

So no Ironman next year. Why? The short answer is: too many eggs in one basket. I tend to be pretty self analytical and pragmatic, so in the end I think it's a case of just not having enough years of training under my belt to effectively do the distance the way I believe I'm capable of. So next year, I'll be racing more often and stick to the half iron distance and under. The juices are already starting to flow and I'm looking forward to next season.

The big show at Kona was last Saturday. Was looking forward to the epic Stadler, Macca showdown in the final few K's, but it didn't happen. Stadler bailed on the bike and in the end Macca won. Props to him. Un-frikin believable how fast/ good these guys are. Kept half an eye on the women's race, but lost interest when hometown favorite Lisa Bentley was having troubles. She's is as tough as they come, but doing IMC and Kona is just too close togethor, in my humble opinion.

Last week mileage: run 4 times, 40-45 minutes each. Bike for 2 hours. :)

Cheers!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what had happened to you. Same decision, no IM next year. I will focus on my biking next year and take it easy. My off season started this week, I did a marathon last week and BQ.

Edward

Darren said...

Ed,
Tried to email you, but it got bounced back. Shoot me your new email.
Way to go on your BQ!!!

Dances with Corgis said...

Nice getting back out there, huh? :)

Aaron said...

Yep, hammerin' like idiots - sure didn't feel like I was going that fast.

Definitely paid for it the next weekend on the Forks of the Credit route...nasty, just nasty. :)