Monday, May 12, 2008

Goal setting.

What's your long term goal? (2 year or more time frame)
What's your goal this year?
What's your goal for this training block?
What's your goal for this month?
What's your goal for this week?
What's your goal for tomorrow?
What's your goal for your next work-out?

Run down the list. Now run up the list. When you ask yourself the questions working up, do they actually help you accomplish your long term goal? The long term goal you set should be realistic, yet difficult to attain. Failure is a possibility. Though I really don't believe in failure in the conventional sense. If you learned something during the journey and still didn't reach your goal, that could hardly be considered a failure.

I'll share a few of my goals.
Sub 10 IMC in 2 years.
Sub 4:30 at a half iron this year.
Increase speedwork this training block.
Bike more this month.
Recover this week.
Bike outside tomorrow.
Hop on the bike for an easy ride after this post.

Each year I learn a little more, train a little more and more importantly train a little smarter. (hopefully). Lastly, goals can be revised and should be revisited regularly, but it's really all about the journey!

Last week's numbers:
Swim:10.8k
Bike: 98k
Spin: 4hrs
Run: 60k

Swim: is feeling downright great. 'nuff said.
Bike: can you ever bike enough? Did a solid 98k ride followed by a 35 min run on Tuesday. Thursday featured a 2 hour trainer effort with 4X9 min at just below threshold intervals, plus a 11.5k run.
Run: highpoint was yesterday, did Misissauga half marry.

Mississauga Half Marathon Report:
Goal: sub 1:24
Actual: 1:24:45

Negative splitting is #$%^! hard. I did run a very evenly paced race, but wasn't quite able to negative split. Having raced 31 k's in the last 8 days and putting in a solid week of training, I knew the legs were going to get cranky.
The good: pretty even splitting from start to finish. Heart and lungs have more to give, legs need some additional speedwork and some extra rest certainly would hurt either. Oh yea, PB'd by...
6 sec.
Hey! it counts! I don't care if it's only 6 sec, it's still a PB. :)
The bad: The PB's are getting harder to come by now. I think, gone are the days of massive time drops. Still almost 5 minutes away from my lifetime goal of sub 1:20.. maybe in 2 years? Possible.

Enough rambling, gotta go spin the legs out.
Cheers!

1 comment:

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Im going to have to look over that list and see what I can find out about my goals!:)

Failure sucks though!

6 seconds definately counts!! I'm still at the point where I can PB a little easier!:D
Good for you on the really fast race! You were probably cooled down and gone before I finished!