Monday, May 05, 2008

Welcome to the brotherhood of dorks.

Both birthday wishes came true! I'm now a proud member of the brotherhood of dorks and a I scored a PR on Sunday.

So that's my opening teaser, let's start off with something a little more mundane and build to an exciting finish. (can't you feel the excitement??)
Weekly total:
Swim:7.2k
Bike: 7 hrs (trainer)
Run:37.5k

I pulled my stitches out, so I'm back in the pool on a semi regular basis. The weather was crap last week, so I trained inside. On Saturday, the day before my 10k race, I did the Ergvideo of the Lake Placid loop and cranked that sucker to '11'. Actually went to muscle failure. I gave myself an 'F' anytime I couldn't sustain big watts and have a cadence > 60. Muscle failure occured 4 times, typically in the last 5 to 10 sec of a 130% of threshold hill climb. Threshold was set to 295 watts and I averaged 248 for the ride, a season high, but the goal was to average 250. So I have to find a bit more power to light up a couple more of L.E.D.'s. Something to shoot for.

Needless to say this put my legs in a bit of a funk on Sunday morning. (hey, it's a C priority race, so I wasn't worried)

Quick and dirty Sporting Life 10k race report:
Ok, I'll let the cat out of the bag. This was my first 10k, so basically I could have walked it backwards and still have PR'd. But a PR is a PR and I'll take one anyway I can get it!

This 10k is a total cheater 10k, meaning it is almost ALL downhill. A great venue to go for a PR, but in truth, any PR on this course deserve a big fast asterix*.

For every meter of the race there was 1 person. Nearly 10 thousand people took part, by far the biggest race I've ever been in! Anyway let's get to the meat and potatoes...
Goal time: <36m
Actual: 38:XX
I'm not much for excuses...
But..
At the 8k mark I got a wicked stitch, the kind of stitch that had me doubled over and walking. Had to stop, stretch it out and walk it off. That kind of bummed me out, was totally on track for my goal, but that stitch really took the wind of my sail. C'est la vie. But hey! It's a still PR! :))

So afer the race....

My birthday present was to go to Enduro Sports .... danger! danger! The goal being was to get an aero helmet and offically become a member of the brotherhood of dorks. So without further adieu...

3 comments:

Cliff said...

38 min. You must be flying.

Should have got the helmet than race. That might trim you a few seconds =D

Aaron said...

Well the, ahem, "story" explains the run time. Downhill, with the wind at your back should have brought you in around 35-36 min.

The brain bucket? Must admit, I've been considering one myself. May just tack it onto the arrival of the addition...

Reddog said...

Hey you look like Speed Racer!

Grats on the 38 at 40 ;)

You should see "Iron Man" when you get a chance... cool flick!

ArrOOoo!