Sunday, August 10, 2008

The fitter you are..

The faster you bounce back. The caveat being.. you probably aren't as fit as you think you are. So smart money says err on the side of caution and rest up! OR.. you could risk injury, over training, burn out... all in an effort of trying to squeeze one more workout that in all likelihood will result in a negative net gain. Hardly seems worth it. Yet we do it. (guilty!) Well at least I try to find the balance - it's a work in progress.

So with an opener like that.. here's what I did this week:
Mon: race (Oly distance)
Tues: swim 2.4k
Wed: bike 72k run5k
Thur: bike 37k, run 11k, swim2.8k
Fri: run 8k
Sat: swim 2.8k open water, bike 70k (rainy, cold and miserable), run 10k
Sun: bike 104k run 10k (to do..)

Signs of over training and /or over-extending myself include: being grumpy, and not sleeping well. The good news is the grump factor is at an all time low and I'm sleeping like a baby - good news indeed.

So I get an email from Aaron entitled: "F the rain- I'm riding on Sunday!!! " Well, after much fence sitting, I buck up and we went for a nice spin. I'm a total froo froo boy when it comes to riding in the rain - oh sure I can suck it up, but I don't have to like it! Training for me is all about maximizing my enjoyment of a given activity and riding in the rain, for me, is generally not fun. BUT.. when you training partner throws down an invite.. you kinda, sorta, haveta rise up to the challenge. It's just the way it is.
By the way, it didn't rain, traffic was nil and the ride rocked. Sometimes the sun shines - even when it's cloudy.
Cheers!

P.S. Phelps's 4:03 in the 400IM = UNfrickinbelievable.

1 comment:

Cliff said...

Darren,

Raining ain't bad..as long as it ain't cold. What's the deal with the weather here..in Windsor..it was 29 and sunny everyday. Well except that night i went riding with Shelley and her iron buddies.