Monday, August 04, 2008

Provincial Champs Race Report!

Owen Sound hosted the Ontario Provincial Champs today for the Olympic distance triathlon. Doing well here means you get to go to the World Championships being hosted in Australia next year, which would be nice, but prohibitively expensive! So here is how the day went down..
Time: 2:05:35
AG placing: 2
Overall: 10

Swim 1.5k: Time: 21:12 AG placing: 3 Overall:17
My age group was in the second wave, which started 4min after the first wave. I immediately fell in line with the top 2 swimmers and the 3 of us basically made a line around the course. I was content on following their feet and we all exited the water very close together.

T1
Uneventful. Wetsuit off. Helmet on. Unrack bike. Go.

Bike 40k: Time: 1:02:17 AG placing:4 Overall: 8
Was looking to to come in about 2 minutes faster but without knowing the course I'm happy with my bike time. Not a particularly difficult course, best defined as a rolling type course with some longer easy ascents - I did have to drop to the small chain ring once. Going out was pretty zippy, nice tail wind and was holding 50kph for some good stretches. Coming back was obviously a tad slower as we had to contend with a headwind. But overall it's a pretty good course.

T2
Tried to rack bike at the wrong rack. Doh. Quickly realized the mistake as I didn't see my shoes there! I was one aisle off - no biggie. Probably only cost 10 sec. Rack bike. Helmet off. Shoes on. Go!

Run 10: 40:34 AG placing: 5 Overall:27
I'm stuck. Seems like no matter what race I do, I can't break the 4min/kph barrier. Becoming a runner has been a long arduous journey and it would appear I still need work! The run is a two looped affair that goes by fairly quickly. Psychologically it's not a far distance, so no matter how hard I'm sucking air, I just tell myself 1 more km! And before I know it, it's done!

Overall I'd give this race a solid 8. Good venue, lots of parking, plenty of facilities, very well organized (as usual Trisport), and great volunteers! This is only the 2nd year Owen Sound has had this particular race, but I can quickly see it becoming a fan favorite, plus it also received Sally's seal of approval - which always bodes well!
Cheers!

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Not bad, not bad at all. Who needs to go to Australia, anyway? Kinda expected to see you crack the magical hour barrier for the ride, but still an impressive showing.

Darren said...

Hey Aaron.
Yea, cracking the magical 40kph would have been nice - maybe next year. Though if I think it will take a year... it most likely will actually take two!

AddictedToEndorphins said...

You continue to amaze me! Seriouslyyy! keep it up and great job on the race!

You'll break that 4min/km barrier!