Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Milestones

A couple of minor milestones. One is relating to winter. You see, psychologically, I break winter down into two major milestones. The first one is the winter solstice, which just passed on Dec 22. Daylight has been increasing for the last 5 days! The next major winter milestone for me isn't until March 1, when it's so close to the end of the tunnel and you can taste spring. Jan/Feb can be a tough stretch, but once March is here, it's game on!

2006 is winding down real fast. As I reflect on the year, specifically relating to triathlon, I think of the top 3 things I've learned. 1) speed is icing on the cake and I don't have cake yet. Off the top of my head, I can't recall who said that, so I can't give proper credit, but it was someone wiser than me! It really is all about building a bigger engine. 2) It really is all about the run. Which is kind of a trick statement. It should be: it's all about arriving at the run with enough endurance to actually run." I thought I was working on the run in '06, but truthfully I did not end up doing what is required. I believe you have train like a runner to become a better runner. Also, just as importantly, do the bike miles to arrive at the run in reasonable shape. Lastly, nutrition really is king. I've found that 'nailing' my nutritional needs for the longer events quite difficult and even though I've learned alot, I still have a ways to go. Such is life.

Another milestone... 101 running K's last week. Yea! A nice Christmas present to myself - a mileage PR. Here's the belated stats for last week:
run: 101 k
spin 4 hr
Plus the usual 2 hours dedicated to stretching and core work.

Ok, well I was a little reluctant to post this, but I did promise I'd post my new bike position, so here it is. Constructive criticism always welcome.. note, I did stay constructive. :)











The only real adjustments over last year is that now there are no spacers in the stem. I played with angling the aerobars down a bit, but after some research decided against it. I was able to achieve a nice flat scapula area and have so far found this position to be comfortable, so for the time being this is the position I'll go with.

The camera did point out some technical flaws in my pedal stroke, just some minor things to work on while logging the spinning hours.

Speaking of spinning, I better stop typing and start logging some miles in front of the TV. Cheers!

3 comments:

Cliff said...

Didn't realize you wear socks for cycling.

101 k? Congrats. Thanks for the tip about running. I have been getting back on the road. Running volume is ramping up but so far..still haven't feel like a runner yet.

Reddog said...

I think you should put a shirt on and stop showing off ;)

Wowsers gratz on the running, let's hope that the weather holds up so you can meets your goals.

ArrOOoo!

Crackhead said...

Your camera angle is off-kilter :)

Seriously, though, it looks like you are a tad too stretched out--like your elbows need to be closer to your body (we're talking cm's, not a lot). It may just be that you are sitting on the wide part of the saddle, and that when you "actually ride," you will be more on the nose of the saddle, in which case you will have closed the gap and your elbows will make more of a 90-degree angle.

But if you're comfortable and generating good power (you don't have a PM yet, do you), then it's the right position for you.

Nice scapulae, too :)