Monday, January 14, 2008

Pen to paper

Weekly recap:
Run: 66.5k
Spin: 6.5 hrs
Yea babay, back in a solid groove and feeling good. Highlights: Tuesday: LT test on the bike. 30 minutes max effort. It really is a hellish experience.. I think the "One more minute" game started at about 4 minutes in. Went out a tad hard and faded at the end - not exactly what your suppose to do. Ended up averaging 291 watts for the duration. Heartrate was 174 from start to finish, so I did get good data there. Completely and totally fried my legs and almost needed a bucket. Haha.

Highlight number 2: Ran with Aaron on Saturday. Anytime you get to train with a partner, it's gravy. Just knowing someone is right there beside you always seems to lift your spirits. Before you know it we banged off 23k. (although I bet if you looked in his log, I bet he wrote down 24k..)

Highlight number 3: Zoinks. Three training highlights in ONE week. Yesterday I did 2.5 hours on the bike. Yup, it's that time of the year.. Lord of the Rings. So I stuck in LOTRO, put the computrainer in Erg mode and pedalled away. I kept going back and forth between 220w and 240w, 15 min in at each wattage. Awesome ride! The really cool thing about putting your Computrainer in erg mode is that no matter what gear you are in or what cadence you pedal, you HAVE to do the watts. There is no cheating. There is no coasting. You always always always gotta push the watts. Defineately a premium work out.


In the vain of Slowtwitch, critique my trainer dungeon!





I've been doing a bit of research on cycling and increasing functional threshold power (FTP). As usual, the more research you do, the more you begin to realize there is no ONE way. However, the one thing you have to do to become a faster cyclist is push the watts. Some do it by the tried and true 2X 20 Zone 4 workout and others do it by low cadence/high watt drills. Personally, I'm thinking of adapting both and alternating each week between the two.

So the plan is starting to come togethor, once I've actually committed pen to paper, you'll be the first to know.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Actually, if you must know, I wrote in my log, "15 miles"... :0) and the achilles seems to have settled down....for now.