Friday, September 22, 2006

De-tri-ing, plan formulation.

Hey hey hey! Happy Friday!

It's been almost a month since IMC and I'm pretty much 'de-tried'. I take my off season very seriously! No workouts, lots of relaxing, catching up on things around the house and pursueing other non-tri related stuff. It's a good process to go through as I find this will keep me 'fresh' for when I starting ramping up again. It's odd, even though I'm not training or anything at the moment, I still think about triathlon pretty much every day. It's always there, maybe not in the forefront but defineately there.

So here are some of my thoughts for the upcoming season.. 2007 is going to be a run year. My long term goal is to make '07 a serious run year. I'll start slow, I'm thinking in October, real easy, running maybe 3 times a week. Then build long and slow to 8 times a week. I'd like to be at the 8 times a week by March.
Cycling will begin nice and light in January and I predict by the end of March I'll need a week off, just to avoid burn out. As for swimming, no real plan.. yet. Possible join Master's just to be social and meet up with other area tri-wienies.

In order to facilitate me becoming a better runner, I'm very seriously thinking of getting a treadmill. In order to do this I've had to re-allocate some of my toys and as a result I'm selling my mountain bike! I do this with a heavy heart, but I just wasn't getting the use out of it since I've become addicted to this tri thing. Go jack up the price and bid for it on Ebay.

As for racing. My plan for '07 in triathlon is to race shorter and race more often. Something like: Muskoka long course, Guelph Olympic, Peterborugh Half IM, Parry Sound Half IM ?, or if a 70.3 race comes to Ontario next year - I'll defineately do that, plus maybe Belwood triathlon and/or Collingwood. In regards to running races: Around the Bay (30k in March.. maybe), Mississagua Half marathon and Toronto Waterfront full marathon. Which, coincidently is this weekend and was my very first race 3 years ago. I wouldn't mind doing a 10k too - I've never done one before.

What? No Ironman next year? As it stands right now - no. However, if I somehow score a sponsorship for '07 and they want me to do an IM, the above schedule is toast and will have to be re-worked.
Cheers!

2 comments:

Cliff said...

Darren,

Have you consider doing the Half Chilli in burlington next year? It is flat but it got nice scenery.

So far I am doing the ATB, Half Chilli, and Muskoka Long Course and probably the sauga half. It is in my city after all. Of course, there is IMUSA :)

Mike said...

Darren,
Someone claiming to train less then me post IMC...I had to read it to believe it!;-) Glad you are enjoying the down-time though..we deserve it right!?!

Remember, easy does it when you dust off those running shoes come October..it ain't pretty!!