Saturday, September 16, 2006

Yes.. I'm alive. Food.

Hi everyone. Yea, I'm still here. As part of my 'de-tri-ing' process, I won't be blogging as much, but there are a few topics I'll discuss. Today's topic is one of my favorites. Food.
I'm not going to get into the why I eat certain things or quote studies or anything. I'm just going to share my philosophies and run through my diet when I train. It works for me, so take what you will from it.

First, a quick word variety and moderation. One, I love to try 'new and different' things. Every have quinoa? Couscous? Don't knock it until you try it, who knows you may really enjoy something new. Moderation. We all have food weeknesses, one of mine is the potato chip. Even though chips may not be the best for you, would I cut them out? Hell no. It's ok to indulge in moderation.

Vitamins and minerals. Defineatly one of the pillars of anyone's diet. With soil levels containing 30% less minerals then 25-30 years ago and the average person eating considerably less than then the recommended 10 servings of fruits and vegetables each day, it can be hard to get all the necessary nutrients. So, on occasion I'll pop a quality vitamin, just to top up the stores.

Grazing. I love this part. Eat many times throughout the day, but much smaller portions. Try to eat slow. It takes 10 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain, 'I've had enough', if you spend that 10 minutes horfing, you will just end up feeling like bloated pig. Slow it down, enjoy and savour.

I try to make my last meal at least 3 hrs before bed and my first mini breakfast is usually a smoothie that's approx 300 cals. Here's a typical day when I'm training:
First thing in the am. A homemade smoothie. I have a large jug of pre-made smoothie in the fridge that usually lasts 5 or 6 days. If anytime I need a 'quick shot' it right there. Nice, easy and convenient. Approx 300 cals per serving, consisting of soy protein, 2 or 3 kinds of berries, yogurt, milk, honey and juice.

Second breakfast is usually 2 hours later and consists of a large bowl of cereal. My cereal is homemade concoction of several different cereals, usually granola type stuff with some puffed wheat, added nuts and seeds, raisins, dried fruit, maybe some flax or hemp hearts. Good stuff. ~ 600 cals

First lunch. Peanut butter and honey sandwhich. ~350 cals
Second lunch. Usually post workout. Leftovers from the previous night's dinner is a favorite. The goal for this meal is primarily carbs to refuel from last workout and provide energy for next. Add juice and a serving or two of fruit. ~750 cals

Pre dinner, post second workout. Get a serving protein and carbs in the system. Snacky type stuff, nuts, granola bar or maybe a couple of eggs on toast. Just to take the edge off. ~350 cals.

Dinner. Usually a full meal. Looking for some good protein here to help muscles recover from the days training. Also looking for some good carbs to replenish energy stores. Always a large salad is included. ~ 1000 cals.

Post dinner.. maybe a 'treat'. A handful of chocolate chips or some frozen yogurt and a fruit. -200 cals.

Add 2-300 miscellaneous calories and I estimate my daily intake is around the 3500 mark. So far this approach seems to keep illness at bay and gives my body the tools it needs to get through the day. Cheers!

2 comments:

Cliff said...

Darren,

That's pretty good. Ever since season is off my diet is very lax. I start to have craving for fruits and veges.

One thing I do is to try to eat a bit before I go out for meals. I found that in restaurant if i am starving, I will over eat and/or order junk food.

Reddog said...

But where in this diet is the most important foodgroup? BEER!!!

ArrOOoo!!!