Thursday, September 07, 2006

Final Iron pics, where am I? Did you win?

Two more pics from IMC..



Hehe.. check the hands. This is called the 'praying mantis'. I wonder if there is any aero benefit? :)
Speaking of aero, I'll be removing more spacers next year.









Ironman number 2, done! Sooo, what's next? Good question. I have no idea. I'm still decompressing, relaxing, getting fat and pondering the future. I have a couple of scenarios going through my head for next year. 1)IM Canada again or IM Wisconsin for something new. 2) Do shorter triathlons, focus on running and put togethor a wicked marathon in Sept 07. 3) the least likely scenario is the Canadian Death race - 125k in 24 hrs jaunt through the Rockies. This is on my to do list, but I doubt it will be next year. Maybe in '08, when I turn 40.

The smart money says door number 2. But I frequently do things that aren't smart, so the jury is out. For now, I'm 'purging the system' of triathlon and slowly but surely formulating some sort of plan for next year. I'm hoping to start training in November, although there is a very real chance I'll procrastinate until December.

The most annoyingly funny question I get about competing in triathlons is: "Did you win?" It's annoying in the respect that anyone who asks it invariably has no idea what they are asking. IMC had 2352 competitors, does that mean 2351 of the them 'lost'? It's funny because it's such a clueless question. Yea, I just won an Ironman after my 2nd year of competing against an International elite field of competitors that have been doing this for 10+ years. Yea, ok. I suppose I could just tell them 'yea, I won', and they'd say 'congratulations' and that would be the end of it.

I can't believe it hasn't even been 2 weeks since the race, it seems so long ago.. Oh yea, for the record, I've done squat, nada, a big fat zilch as far as workouts go... and I'm loving it.

4 comments:

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Of course you won! Those people assosiate winning with a place on a podium. We know the truth.

Cliff said...

Darren,

...i always tell ppl my goal is to survive..so if i done that..i won :0

I was about to say that you need to register a year before to get into IMC. Then i forgot you qualify for it this year :0.

As for your email, sorry just haven't had time to reply. Yeah....maybe sometime later in Sept. That will be great. Thanks. I am still de-triing myself as well.

You should see what i done to my aerobars. They ain't symmeterical no more. But it works.

William said...

If you got a medal, you won. Simple.

Hmmm, IMWis sounds like an interesting course. The death race sounds like a lot of fun too.

Have fun during your time off.

Crackhead said...

Eh--I am used to the "did you win" questions. Reality is that many people who ask us about what we did can't fathom the distances, and I could say, "Yeah, I went 7:30" and they would just nod their head. They are just being nice!

Regarding next year, save some money and instead of doing IMWI via IMNA, come down the following weekend for "Nachoman." There is a small contingent of peeps who will do the IMWI course but the week after the "official" race. No medals, no T-shirts, just honor.