Monday, July 09, 2007

LB, PB1/2IM, Serious TM engaged.

What an odd title for a post. Starting with LB..

Saturday's workout consisted of: a 3.6k open water swim, 100k bike and a 7.5k run. The highlight: I was out riding on a beautiful day, the kind of day when it's just awesome being out there and riding. I'm passing the cow fields saying Hi to the cows and otherwise just enjoying myself and logging a few K's. Whoa.. what's this? Someone ahead about 700m? Bogey in sight, target aquired. He/she is moving at a decent pace but I'm slowly making gains all the while trying to keep HR in check. It's all a game for me, even though the person ahead has no idea I'm there or that they are even in my little game. For me, it's just fun to try and catch someone ahead of me, hopefully have a little chat and ride some miles togethor.

So I pull within a few meters of the person and say 'hi', just to let them know I'm there. I pull up beside my fellow tri-wienie, do a double take and realize I just reigned in Lisa Bentley. Inside my head I'm going "ohmygodijustreignedinLisaBentely!" On the outside, I'm my usual calm cool collected self. (ya right) Seriously, we just chatted for a bit and soon after went our separate ways, no big deal. But it was damned cool to run a 10X Ironwoman champion a mere 2 weeks away from IMLP!

Fast forward to today. I just got back from an easy 2k swim, (sidebar, I did a couple 'fast' 100m's and was hitting 1:06's -schwing!) and was eating (what else is new) when TSN was showing Ironman Australia 2006. What woman one that race? Yup, you guessed it - Lisa Bentley. Gee, you think I'm in Ironman racing mode yet??

Peterborough 1/2 Ironman was yesterday. I had scheduled to do this race, but backed out, it's just too close too Lake Placid. I probably could have done it and recovered OK, but 'probably' just doesn't cut it, I'm just focusing on the prize and that's a mere 13 days away..
PB1/2IM, gets me nostalgic, three years ago it was my first triathlon, so you know it's a 'must do' for next year!

Taper Mode is pretty much in full swing. Last week I had the luxury of taking 2 days completely off. Pure craziness I know. The mileage looked like this: swim: 7.6k (bailed on a swim) bike 305k and run 35k (bailed on a run). On Friday I wasn't feeling quite 100%, so erred on the side of caution and got some extra zzzz's. All is good now, so no worries.

The plan for this week is to swim ~8k, bike <200k and run about 25k.
Cheers!

5 comments:

Crackhead said...

I love good taper stories...we are almost there. We'll need to meet up!

Cliff said...

That's what u call tapering?

Crazy. See u in two weeks.

Mike said...

LB sighting- pretty darn cool D!

Good call on skipping PB...we don't need you lowering that friggen flying PR of yours! ;-)

Do you have a swimming background? 100's @ 1:06 pace!? sheez, I'd need some fins for that!

Be careful thru the rest of your taper!

Reddog said...

Get Bentley! Pretty f'in cool!

Take it ease bfore Placid.

Everything sounds good!

ArrOOoo!

Darren said...

Mike!
Ya, 20 or so years ago I could put togethor a half decent 100 free. It's amazing how that muscle memory kicks in.