Saturday, July 14, 2007

Slacker Saturday, 10:06??!! Predict my time and WIN!

1006
How did they do that? My number is the same as my finishing time! How cool is that?? 10:06! Oh man that would sweet indeed, but realistically it's not going to happen. For fun, let's crunch the numbers to do a 10:06..
Swim: 56
T1: 4
Bike: 5:20
T2: 4
Run: 3:42
You know, when I write it down like that, it actually seems doable. But if you throw in the obligatory +20 min fudge factor, the projected finishing time weighs in at 10:26. So this is what's floating in the back of mind, however time is of less importance than ever this year. This year the mantras are race smart, finish strong. It should be noted that I've yet to come close to a projected finishing time at the IM distance - the classic overestimating fitness applies here, BUT and this is a big but, I've made huge strides in the 4th discipline of triathlon. Nutrition. I'm not saying I have it nailed, but this will a huge test and I think it's dialed in pretty good.

Here is my overall strategy:
Swim: mantras: "long, easy strokes" Grab a set feet from the 2nd lead pack and take it easy. Time: 56 min.
Bike: mantra: "slow down!" Negative split? Get and keep heartrate < 135 for first loop, add 5 beats for 2nd loop. Start fueling @ 20 minutes and on the 10's thereafter. Eat half a power bar on the 30's followed by H2O. Estimated calorie intake: min:2000 max 2600. Time: 5:25
Run: mantra: "just run." Hold heartrate to 140 and see what happens. Nutrition: 800 cals of dextrose based Infinit. Time: 3:50

The good: my training went really well this year. Spent extra time on the bike to help increase overall endurance. Training started last October, with consistent and more structured training beginning in November - it went well.
The bad: nothing really. Caught 2 bugs, one in Feb and another in April. April was a downer month and missed a bike focus week. Other than that, all is/was good.
The "X" factor: weather. Hot, humid conditions will slow me down. Can't control that, so not worried about it.

In the "What the Hell?" category..
There are 488 in my age category. Yes, that's right, 488. What the hell? In a race where there will be between 2000 and 2200 particpants, there are 488 in the M35-39 division. We are clearly a most troubled demographic and undoubtedly need some sort of professional help.

Taper Udpate:
Mon: swim 2k. Tues: 1 hour message, 1:20 on the Computrainer Zone 2 workout. Wed: swim 3.7k (last long swim), run 7.5k. Thurs: Bike 55 (race setup), run 4k. Fri: run 10.5k (last 'long' run). Sat: open water swim 2.4k (done), pm: run and for tomorrow: ride, max 2 hrs.

Heading to the race?
If you want to meet up, drop me an email, we can exchange cell numbers. My schedule looks like this: Thurs: travel and register. Fri: am swim in Mirror Lake, pm: run. Sat am: ride. pm: bike check in, swim. Sun: all booked up. :)

Predict my time and win a..
Predict my time without going over and win a prize! A sock? A pair of socks? A pair of official IMLP socks? Yes, that's right! Predict my time without going over and I'll send you an official pair of IMLP socks! No emails, you have to post here so all can see.

Cheers!

11 comments:

Crackhead said...

Hi, Darren! First off, good luck!

Second, see you at the swim Friday morning--say 7:30AM? Let's meet by the Gatorade check in. I KNOW you will recognize me :)

Third, I predict your finish time to be 10:42. Not a bad time on that course.

I was laughing you actually wrote "what the hell," cuz I thought *I* was the Queen of that saying. So let's have some "what the hell's" in LP and race well.

Reddog said...

Bah, Just wait until you enter my age group!

Gratz on the makings of a succesful year and race. I believe in my age so I say 10:44 ;)

We'll be keeping our eyes on you (well as best that can be kept on the race site/web cam deelio)

I'm gonna use one of my favourite quotes here:

“Luck, that's when preparation and opportunity meet.” Pierre Elliott Trudeau

So that kind of luck you got in spades!

ArrOOoo!

Mike said...

Big D!
based on your race reports this year...the 1/2 mary PR after the big training week comes to mind. No injuries to speak of, feeling good. I'd say you are *insert russian accent* :
Strong like bull!!

Dude- you are going 10:20 straight up!

btw, I wear size medium in the socks.

Anonymous said...

You have trained so hard for this, as always,and your just crazy enough to do it in 10:24.

All the best and I really need a pair of good walking socks. I wore out my favourite pair in this last race.

Good Luck,

MRua

rehab_man said...

Hey Dude,I say there's something to the karma number theory and you'll knock off a 10:06!Good luck, you're ready!...ps Lash says I need new socks so if it looks like 10:05 is in the cards go easy on the finishing kick will ya ;)

Born To Endure said...

Best of luck!! See you at the Gatorade swim Fri. a.m...
AND..I think you're finishing time will be 10:49...it's a tough course..:-))

Anonymous said...

10:17 White socks please.

dalna

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Hey! Im saying--10:16ish.

Just have fun! Good luck with the Ironman, and I CANNOT wait to read the race report!!! Even if it takes you a few days for the report: Just tell us how fast you finish!!

Anonymous said...

10:32

All the best!

Anonymous said...

Drin,
Just talked to your strongest supporter (next to Sal) and she says it's gonna be 10:37. Sending lots of luv and support from B.C. and wishing you ALL THE BEST !!

Mom (via Dad)

Anonymous said...

10:06, you can do it!

Josh - biggestloser@sio.midco.net