Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Going slow to get fast.

I'm slowly but surely re-entering the grind. Since last Friday, the workouts have been: Sat: off Sun: run 1:10 Mon: run 1hr Tues spin 1hr, Wed: run 1:10.

I'm solidly in the "to get fast, I first must go slow phase'. It's humbling at times, to see a monster hill and purposely walk up it instead of tearing up it like a mad man. This engine is going to be a lean mean fat burning machine and in order to do that, I must be disciplined enough to go slow.

I've been doing lots of trail running and have really noticed how much easier it is on body. This is great as it doesn't leave me feeling beat up the next day. The goal over the next few months is to build to 5 one hour, 2 20-30min, and 1 two hour run per week. If I can get my body to adapt to that, it should help my running next season.

Ok, I confess. I'm in the market for a heart rate monitor. You say "what? you don't use a hrm??" Ya, you got me. In the past I've used a strictly old school approach, training by feel and listening/deciphering what my body tells me. I know when I hit my lactate threshold becuase I can feel it. I think I've taken this approach as far as is useful and will now use a HRM as a new tool. Technology, it's a beautiful thing. Cheers.

No comments: