Sunday, October 08, 2006

Cancer fundraiser, 4 runs & a swim.

Sure has been quiet around here lately. I noticed the last update was over a week ago, so I figured I better do some catching up. Last week I set the absolutely insane goal of running 3 times this week, well I'm happy to report that I completely overshot that goal. The week isn't even over and I'm already at 4! Four very easy runs for a grand total of ~30k. Good stuff.

On Friday Cliff, made the big trek to Orangeville and we did some stroke work in the pool. It's been a long time since I've taught swimming, abstract phrases like 'the catch phase is critical to your stroke', and 'think smooth' sound fine and dandy, but trying to teach someone these things is a another matter. I'm a big fan of mental visualization, think about somone who can swim really well. Now meditate on it. Slow their stroke down, examine each part, visualize it, emulate it, repeat. Feel the water. Be smooth. So to help facilitate this, Cliff and I took turns examining each others stroke from above the water and from below. We also did some drill work and then called it day.

When Cliff and I were at the pool, we met up with Richard Pady. Rich is a former pro triathlete who has initiated a fundraiser for children with cancer. This hits close to home as Cliff, is a cancer survivor and Richard's own daughter, Elizabeth, is currently under going cancer treatment. She was diagnosed at the age two.
The fundraiser is pretty awesome. Rich managed to secure 40 Ironman Lake Placid spots for which anyone can apply for. In return, over the next 9 months, he asks you raise $2500. ALL proceeds go to POGO. If you are interested in a spot, or want to donate, please check out his fundraising site at:
Race4kids.

The first meeting of the run club takes place in just over two weeks. The weather is gorgeous, so you have no excuse to not run right now. Get out there and log a few miles. Even though these are going to very easy runs, you'll still be expected to log ~10k to start. As it stands, I'm expecting at least four people for our inaugural run, lots of space still available. Drop me an email for details.

Canadian Thanksgiving is today and it's one of the few days I stuff myself stupid. I should probably go for a pre-turkey run, just so I don't feel so guilty. Cheers!

3 comments:

Cliff said...

To clarify,

Cliff and I took turns examining each others stroke

Is actually Darren examine my stroke and comment on which aspet I should work on.

Thanks. :)

Reddog said...

"Cliff and I took turns examining each others stroke"

Naah, that's just TOO easy ;)

Hoping my back will be there for the run!

ArrOOoo, Reddog

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Believe it or not this is the first blog I have visited.

Pogo sound like a great idea. Need any baked goods for your baskets? Let me know and I would be happy to whip up something. Stickie buns,cookies,bars, whatever?

Like the lawn chair pose. After these last couple of days maybe you should switch to a snow suit pose.

Keep up the good work!