Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Monthly mileage report..

September was the month of sloth. I ate, slept and did absolutely nada in the training department. An entire of month of zero's. (well I ran twice, hardly enough to count for anything.) So after a month of laziness and an extra 5 pounds of weight, I decided to slowly get back to the grind. This brings us to October, which was primarily dedicated to what I call 'loose training' -not structured, very slow running and multiple days off throughout the week. I logged maybe 200k as a conservative rough guess, of which about 70% was done on trails. The goal for October is to slowly acclimatize my body to some serious running that will happen later in the year. So now that October is all but finished, what's the plan for November?
More of the same with the addition of a little more structure a few more running K's and some trainer time. Workouts from Tues to Sunday with Monday's off. Nothing too crazy. Here is a basic outline of my current training 'plan'.
Oct, Nov and Dec: running focused. The goal being to increase my tolerance to muscle fatigue, and build a bigger aerobic engine. Spinning time will be kept to a max of 2 hours/week.
Jan, Feb: add spinning time on the bike in increasing volume, still primarily running focused but shifting to more of a balanced approach between spinning and running. Add a few swim sessions.
March, April. First races - a half marathon in early March and a 10k in April. March is a transition month, drop a weekly run or two and add lots of spinning time. The end of March is a big bike week. The beginning of April is marked by a very easy week, followed by a 3 week build. By now, my swim should be 'normal'.
May- another half marathon race and another 3 week build block.
June- rest a week. Three week build block, with one being big bike week number 2. Probable races are Muskoka and/or Milton triathlons.
July - taper for IMLP. I really want to do Peterborough Half IM, but it's only 2 weeks out from IMLP, so I probably won't.
August- rest and ease back into running.
Sept- a 3 week running build.
Oct- Toronto marathon.
So there you have it, the plan for the next 12 months.. now the hard part begins, the 'execution'. :)
*Cheers*

2 comments:

Cliff said...

That sounds good.

I might do Toronto Marathon as well. But depend on my trip back to Hong Kong, I might not.

Half marathon in early march? I assume that's half chilli? It is nice and flat. Just hope it doesn't have a snow storm that day. If it does...just make us mentally strong ;D.

Mike said...

Wow Darren, nice that you have your whole race season pretty much mapped out- I need to do that asap.

Glad to see I'm not the only one dealing with post-season weight gain! ;-)