Saturday, October 21, 2006

Random Kona thoughts

So it's Sat a.m. and I'm procrastinating the day's workout and household chores (as per usual). I'm pondering about the Ironman World Championships that are about to get underway in Kona, Hawaii. The best of the best are there, ya I'm talking about those people who have achieved such high degree of fitness and mental discipline that they can actually race an Ironman. Last year there were 368 people who went sub-10 hours! Awesome. Like every Ironman around the world it's filled with inspiring stories and not just from the pro-level athletes. Stories from the 'ordinary' age-groupers and physically challenged are amongst the most inspiring around. Remember Blazeman? If you aren't part of the scene, you probably have no idea who he is, which is a shame.The sad thing is if you can't shoot a puck or throw a fast ball, you get very little coverage in mainstream media. It's too bad because the real action has always been amateur sport - people who love sport for the sake of sport. I have to admit, there is a part of me that is bitter about the masses who sit like a vegetable and would rather get fat and watch a sport being played on the boob tube, which actually contributes to the disasterous current state of pro sports. Personally, I made the choice to boycott them all. Eep, sorry for the tangent.. back on topic..
Would I do Kona?
Dunno. Get back to me in a couple of years. I'd consider it, if I was in the very best shape of my life and in top form. That won't be for another couple years, so I have lots of time. Kona has alot going for it, afterall it is the world championships. The atmosphere, competing with some of the fittest people on the planet. And it's the frikin Ironman World Championship.
However...
It's ridiculasly expensive. I imagine Sally and I would drop an easy 5++ grand. I guess the best way to sell it to her would be to think of it as a vacation and not 'let's drop 5 G's so Darren can do a race.' I don't know - get back to me in a couple of years. I still have to exact retribution in Lake Placid and want to do IMC again.. so Kona is still a long ways off...
Ok, enough procratinating, I have work to do. Cheers!

3 comments:

Reddog said...

And they make great coffee!

ArrOOoo, Reddog

Cliff said...

I saw Blazeman article as well. He is in a wheelchair.

Team Hoyts were there as well. And the 76 yr old nun. She finished with a min to spare.

Youa re right.they are the most inpsiring around...and media tend to focus on the pros.

As for Haiwaii...yeah..treat it like a second honeymoon..she might say yes ;)

I am still thinking about that 300 km hell ride...but that is still a long way off....

Crackhead said...

Um...if you qualify, you WILL go. Don't pretend like it costs a lot or whatever. It IS a nice place, and you will enjoy it aside from the race. Why else would you be so possessed to go so fast?