Monday, July 24, 2006

Monday weigh in

I'm starting to get a little nostalgic. The fact that I'm down to my last week and half of hard training got me thinking about just how fast the last 7 months have gone by. I've blogged every training session, the ups, the downs, the good and the bad. It's been a fun ride and I'm really digging the journey. I don't know if it's the endorphin addiction or what, but hard training certainly does seem to open so many doors. Physical, mental and spiritual doors seem to be opening all the time - it's so cool. And it true, YOU really can do anything you set your mind to. Nothing is impossible.

Rumour has it that Ironman Lake Placid for 2007 sold out in 30 minutes today. So you see, there are plenty of us 'crazy folk' out there. Actually when an IM sells out in 30 minutes I'd say it's turning into a phenomenon. Everyday more and more people are waking up to the fact: 'hmm... you know what? I can do this'. A good example is Cliff - he secured his spot this morning. (huge congrats Cliffy!)

And now the weekly mileage report:
Last week was suppose to be a moderate week, well it sort of got kicked up a notch and went to more the moderate/hard side of the scale. Here are the numbers:
Run: 54k
Bike: 366k
Swim: 10.3k
Dryland: 2 hrs
Weight: 159

The plan for this week is to kick it up another notch. Tomorrow is long swim day and a ~14k run. Bike week starts on Wednesday. That's the current plan - always subject to change. Cheers.

1 comment:

Crackhead said...

Hard training teaches you to focus and let go of unnecessary crap. And it's just natural to extend that to your physical environment and also your spiritual life.

I think that if you don't train hard (and I mean hard as in how you train and how I *think* I train), then you look to only the race as the arena where you are truly testing yourself; whereas if you are always training hard, you are constantly testing yourself and putting it on the line, and you don't need to *wait* for a race day to know that you've improved and have the goods to put up a good race.

I said I was taking the summer to "slack," but you know what I don't really know how. I still laugh every time I am about to begin a workout where I am going, "Whoa--I wonder if I can do that?" and then I proceed to crush the thing.

When I did bike intervals yesterday, it was f'ing hot and I was working hard and I was smiling my usual "I am not sure I like this or hate this" smile, and I got a kick at how random people would wave at me! I must look like I'm enjoying it, and I bet you do, too, when you're out there. Once you get used to the hard stuff, there is almost no turning back.

If you want that 9-hour IM time, I am sure you will get it!