Friday, July 07, 2006

Whoa dude..

It kind of dawned on me: 'jeez guy, you have a half Ironman this weekend, better wake the hell up!' It's like part of me was saying 'hey, it's just half, the distance isn't that bad - it'll be good for training..' and the other half was saying: ' dude, respect the frikin distance and get some extra rest this week - you are gonna need it.'
Fortuneately, I listened to the latter - I did manage to rest the legs this week, while upping the swim mileage. So I'll be going into this race with legs at 80% and arms at 70% - definately a 'B' race.
The main goal for Sunday is to run this as my Ironman simulation. I've got my Saturday diet planned out and my race morning food as well as my strategy for fueling/hydrating on the bike. Try to stay cool, keep the intensity down and up the water intake. Really, it's pretty simple.
As for time, it's totally a secondary goal, hey if I do a good time - great, I'm trying to make that less of a 'goal'. It's all about the journey.
Now that being said, I'm still willing to make an ass myself and try to give you a rough idea on what would be 'nice':
swim 2k: <29:00 Could be iffy, already logged 11k in the pool this week.
bike 90k: ~2:30 Have to maintain 35kph - shouldn't be too much of a problem. But have to remind myself that I'm really not fully rested - so we'll see how it goes.
run 21k: 1:40. The only thing I really want is to nail my nutrition and put in a decent run.

Happy Friday everyone! I'm off to do an hour easy ride and probably won't update to Sunday. Cheers!

1 comment:

Cliff said...

See u in Peterborough :)...