Sunday, July 23, 2006

Weekend update

I did some quality saddle time on the Spirit of Koo on Saturday. Actually, I figured out that if I started at the CN tower in downtown Toronto and road directly up Younge St (which turns into Hwy 11), I would have ended up 20k short of Huntsville. Zoinks. A 196k ride in total. This was easily my toughest ride of the year, quite hilly with the hardest climbs starting at the 154k mark. (Hockley Valley Ski hill, Forks of the credit switchback and Mississauga road -by the ski hill) The good news is that I felt pretty good for the whole ride. I probably should have rode the extra 4k just to make it an even 200, but I was out of water, sports drink and food. :)
Oh yea, broke a speed record too - I hit 82kph descending down Heart Lake road. I'm still looking for a decent hill where I can break into the triple digit territory.

So the big question for today was how well are the legs going to hold up for the long run. Well they were a little cranky for the first 5k, but once they realized I wasn't going to let them off the hook, they got the job done just fine. Actually, today's 29k long run felt better than fine, I'd say closer to very good.

This concludes my 3rd Ironman-in-a-weekend and it was by far my best. I think a large part was due to the weather, cloudy and not too hot= perfect training/racing weather. The thing that is scaring the crap out of me is that Penticton BC (where IMC is held) is currently in a heatwave - today's temperature is a mere 39C (that's 102F). I really hope it's not that bad come race day - or I'm toast.

Lastly happy anniversary to me! Ironman Lake Placid is going on as I write this update. I can't believe it's already been one year since my first IM and I'm having a hard time believing I'm doing another one in just over a month. Weeeeeeeeeeee!

2 comments:

Cliff said...

Darren,

You are a beast.

Thanks for dropping by on Sat morning. It was great to see you. I probably head up north again this coming sat to do some more quality rides.

Which part on Heart Lake were you speeding? That is some awesome speed.

I showed Will Hockley and McLaren. I told him next time we will do the climb at Melsville :)

Darren said...

Ya, we are lucky to be so close to great riding. I hope you didn't go too hard Will!

You know that part of Heart Lake just before the The Grange turn off - we've done it before. That's the speedy part.