Sunday, February 19, 2006

Ain't so bad!

After much procrastinating, I finally got off my duff and did my long run today. I was kinda hoping that it would a) warm up and b) get less windy. Well it warmed a couple of degrees, but other than that, the conditions did not getting any better. So I sucked it up and headed out.
During my run, I was thinking of the scene in Rocky where Rocky was getting pumelled by Apollo - or was it the Russian guy?, no matter, Rocky is taking the hits all the while saying "ain't so bad!.." How does this relate to my run?
-20C+ windchill: ain't so bad!
60km/h headwind: ain't so bad!
outrun a 100 pound St. Bernard: ain't so bad!
help a car in the ditch: ain't so bad!
running in whiteouts: ain't so bad!
If you say something enough, eventually you'll believe it. In the end, I had great run! I had 21k on the agenda and even tacked on a little extra at the end. The grand total ended up being 22+k, lots of gas left in the tank at the end and it felt strong. Yay me! :)

Oh jeez, I almost forgot, remember that person I had helped get out of the ditch? After we get her car unstuck, she asked me what I was training for, so I told her Ironman. She says: "cool!, I'm training for Ironman!" It turns out, her and 3 of her friends are doing Ironman this year. Now I ask you, how cool is that??!

Lastly, yesterday I did a 2hr 15min spin session, so that goes in the books. Yep, not a bad weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crap,sounds like a run from hell,just heading out myself,I'll try to avoid the St.Bernards!!!(congrats on the sponsorship!)...Ian

Darren said...

Thanks Ian! Actually the run could have been more like a comedic tragedy.. but in the end it felt great, so who can argue with that. Have a good one.