Monday, April 24, 2006

Monday weigh in

Ok, let met start off by saying yesterday's long run sucked. I really don't like to post negative stuff, but I did have to get that off my chest. I've rarely been so wet or chilled as I was yesterday. I'm talking about drenching, soaked to the bone, feet squishy wet - in 5C weather. Fun stuff. The good news is I did get a 2 hour run in, the bad news is I only did 23.5k. I was wishing I had a partner to run with, there are times when solo training is tough.

Here is the recap and mileage report for week number 16:
Run: 73k
Bike: 64k
Spin: 4:15hrs
Swim 4k
Dryland: 1.5hrs
Weight: 162
This week ended up being very similar to the previous week. It caps off another 3 week build period and I'm pretty happy with my current fitness level. I was short a few k's on my projected run total, but on the other hand I got 6 good runs in each of the last two weeks. Bike and swim goals were met and weight has come down another pound.

Next week is a special week, as it marks the halfway mark to Ironman Canada, I only have 3 key workouts for the entire week, I have numerous rest days planned and I'm going to tri not to think or do anything with triathlon. Call it a system purge. The reason for this is to get fully rested and focused for the next 3 months. In May I'll re-examine my workout schedule and tweak as necessary.

Today is a scheduled rest day, I did 45 minutes of stretching, some light core work and upper body weights. I'm a big fan of stretching, hmm.. I mean proper stretching. Few people incorporate stretching in their routine and even fewer do it properly. It's a shame, personally, I've found flexibility to be very helpful in injury prevention. It increases range of motion, which in turn can aid in technique and give efficiency gains. I can't back that statement up with any scientific data - just personal experience. Besides, after a good stretch session you just plain feel good.

Lastly, due to the 'system purge', I may not post too frequently this week - do not despair! I shall be back with a vengenance and will keep everyone updated. That I promise. :) Cheers.

No comments: