Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The 'wave'

Still pretty much in recovery mode from last week's training camp. Yesterday, I did 2 hours of aerobic work on the trainer and a 30 minute weight session. Today was a steady 13k run. It took some mental effort to get it done, but as usual, once you get going - it's not so bad. Hopefully, another day or two of easy workouts and I'll be back to 100%. The next 2 weeks will be, once again, running focused, so I need to be fully recovered.

What is 'the wave'? The wave occurs when I'm running against traffic and a courteous oncoming car moves over and gives the runner (me) lots of space. Usually, if there is no oncoming traffic for the vehicle, they will cross over the centre of the road and give me lots of space. This is a nice gesture, it tells me they see me and that I don't have to worry about them.

So who gets the wave from me? Basically, anyone courteous enough to move a few feet over and give me a little extra space. I wave at them to acknowledge their coolness, they wave back saying 'hey, no problem'. I actually, consider myself fairly fortunate. Country roads have far fewer cars and at least 75% of the vehicles that pass me, earn a wave.
I have to admit it boggles my mind when someone doesn't move over, especially if there is no oncoming traffic. I have hard time understanding that type of mentality. Obviously, they don't get a wave. No wave for you!

So, if you are in my neck of the woods and you see a runner waving at you, it might be me thanking you for your courtesy.
/wave

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it!! I love how some people just....Don't get a wave....and they certainly know who they are. I think for the most part they are envious of you having the motivation to just do it! Which brings me to my other wave...the wave of motivation I get from reading your blog....sometimes it is the motivation I need to get off my ass and get out there and do it....and sometimes it is the motivation that I just want to share in how good it feels when everything is clicking and it just goes BAM! Over the top! Today is one of those days for me...feeling awesome, great run in the sun today and thinking of going for another after work. It is t minus 504 hours til classic and I think I will be in the best running shape yet for a spring classic...It is so much easier to run hard when you don't smoke..... Who knew? We all get motivation from many places....I just wanted to say thanks for all the motivation I get from you!

Darren said...

Thanks for the kind words bro, but what struck me most from your post is that you quit smoking! You're making me proud. Just think of it like your own personal Ironman. It's gonna suck sometimes, but after you win the battle - it'll feel sooooo good!

Hmm.. i think I should do a post about 'giver'.