Monday, June 12, 2006

Doubtful Monday weigh in

Here is the weekend report:
Taper officially began on Saturday with an easy 100k ride with Cliff, followed by a short 4k transition run. The weather was mediocre (windy and cool), but that's the beauty of meeting someone for a ride - there is no wimping out.
Sunday was a short long run of 14k. I kept the pace controled, even though the legs 'wanted to go' for the last few k.
Here are the stats for the week:
Run 43.5k
Bike: 177k
Spin: 2 hrs
Swim: 8.2k
Dryland: 1.5 hrs
Weight: 161

I look at a week like that and part of me says, 'jeez, you aren't doing nearly enough' and the first inklings of doubt set in. I know it's irrational and I understand that, but I still feel it. This is just part of the tapering process, I must decrease mileage even though I want to do more. So, to help alleviate and keep Mr. Doubt at bay, I tallied this year's total, here is where I'm at:
Run: 1124.5k
Spin: 93.5 hrs
Bike: 1083k
Swim: 96.3k
Dryland: 36hrs
This is from Jan 2/06 to June 11/06. Commentary: Running has been a major focus this year, basically increasing the frequency of runs (upto 6 times per week) and consistency. I've been able to do this and maintain an injury free status. So, even though I believe total kms are a tad low, I've met my goal as far as running is concerned. Is it enough? Bah, is it ever enough?
Spinning: that's some serious spinning time. Roughly 40 more hours on the trainer this year compared to all of last year.
Biking kms: Ok, this one looks bad and it is concerning. But I must remember, that the spinning hours count for alot and that up until July, running will/has been the primary focus. So, once again, I must tell myself all is going according to plan. Hopefully between now and IMC I can get 2k kms in.. then I'll feel better.
Swimming: way low kms, but this is not a problem. Coming from a swim background, the ONLY thing I must remember in Ironman Canada is to NOT NOT NOT hang with the fast guys. Even though I have that capability, I must not, I will not go out too fast. Discipline.

So what does this tell me. I guess it tells me things are going according to the master plan I set out in January. I ask myself 'am I training better/smarter then last year?' and I believe the answer is yes. Will there always be some doubt.. should I be doing more? Could I be doing more? During a taper it is natural to question all your previous prep work, I must remind myself of this and stick my plan. It hasn't steered me wrong so far.
Thanks, I'm glad we had this discussion. Cheers.

No comments: