Thursday, June 15, 2006

Execution

Not sure if I'll have time to update between now and post race. So I'd thought put my strategy in writing now. The primary goal for Muskoka is to secure my Ironman Canada spot, that's of foremost importance. I've looked at previous years qualifying times and I don't foresee a problem, however, since I've not raced yet, this is still in the 'theory' stage.

My secondary goal for this race is to break the 3 hour mark. This is realistic but difficult. Here's a breakdown of my execution strategy:
swim 2k: about <28 minutes. I'm aiming for a 1:24/1:25 pace.

bike 55k: I hope to come in at 1:28. This is a 37.5 km/hr pace. Not entirely sure how this is going to pan out, I could be as low as 36.5 or as high as 38.5 ... so I picked right smack in the middle.

run 15k: sub 1hr. Perhaps my toughest split and it's going to take some guts. If I can maintain sub 4 min kms after a hard bike, I'll be a happy camper.
Add 2 minutes for transitions and the total time comes in at 2:58. Eep, a mere 2 minute fudge factor to come in under 3hrs. It's going to be close!

4 comments:

Reddog said...

I think a little doubt is OK. Overconfidence kills. Good luck this weekend bro, bro!

Anonymous said...

Dude,your training has been spot on and you should have an awesome time this weekend...good luck!!!

Cliff said...

Swim and bike wise..i think u are fine. I heard the bike course is rolling hills. Not the rides that you normally go. As for the run, i heard it is nice and flat. So a 4 min/ km is quite doable too :0

Darren said...

Thanks guys!
A couple butterflies are already settling in - but I'm fending them off.
Cliff, make sure we see each other in the transition before the race.
Reddog, you want Fast Filly's autograph? :)
Rehab-man .. umm.. I know too many people in rehab, not sure which one you are. Grin.
Cheers!