Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Hump day update

Tuesdays are the beginning of my workout week and this being a 'hard' week, I wanted to set myself up for some punishment. You know, something to set the tone for the rest of the week. So yesterday I did a 14k run that comprised of 10 hill repetitions. The hill I climb is roughly 400m long and it's a good steady climb that takes me 90 to 95 sec to run up. I only had 8 on the agenda, but ended up doing 10. Why? Cuz I'm tuff! rar! The good news is I actually felt strong. All the hill repetitions, weight training and extra attention to running is slowly but surely starting to pay off. It's very satisfying to see and feel the dividends.

My second workout yesterday was a 2 hour session on the trainer which consisted of time trialing, drill work, big gear work and some more time trialing. Yup, fried the legs right some good yesterday.

For today, workout number one was an easy 11.5k trail run. My second workout was a brutal endurance swim session planned ... 15X400 @ 6:00 (!) - but the powers that be cancelled my lane swim! So I had to use all my charm (cough) on pool supervisor and I actually fandangled 30 minutes of pool time out of her. Most cool. Well, cool in the from aspect my swim workout wasn't a total bust. So I jumped in and did a quick 2k - better than nothing, but it's a far cry from the 6k I had planned. Oh well.
To help make up for the lost k's from my swim workout, I did an upper body weight routine and some core work.

You know that half Ironman I've been thinking about doing? I mentioned it a few posts ago.. Anyway, I'm leaning towards doing it - what the hell, you only live once. So my routine until Ironman Canada would like:
This week: hard. bike /run focus.
Week 2: easy. Race on July 9
Week 3: recover week
Week 4: build week
Week 5: cycle focus (last 2.5 hr long run)
Week 6: moderate/hard week - all 3 sports.
Week 7,8 and 9. Taper.
At least this way I can get another race in, test another nutrition strategy and still get a few good weeks of training before taper time.

2 comments:

Cliff said...

Dude..which race are u doing on July 9th? Peterborough? If u are..we ahve to get a picture together.

Let me work out my schedule after peterborough. We will ride some more.

Looks like u are coming back from Muskoka quite nicely.

Darren said...

Yea Cliff - we'll defineately see each other at Peterborough. I'm looking forward to it.

Sheila, if I turn out to be half the crackhead you are -that'll be plenty!