Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Regroup Refocus

Did an easy 60k on the bike yesterday, felt good. Today I did a 7.5k trail run and an endurance swim workout. Here's the swim workout:
4X400m 15 sec rest.
2X(4X200m) 10s rest
4X(4X100m) on 1:40
Total: 5k
Each set was a build set, the goal being to get progressively faster through each set of 4. I felt strong and was thinking: ' why couldn't I feel like this on Sunday?'

Speaking of Sunday's race, Sally says I'm too hard on myself. I've come to the conclusion that she-who-must-be-obeyed is correct. But in my own defence, I'll just say that I really dislike being hampered by external issues - like this pesky tummy problem. Hey, if I'm outgunned by a more experienced, fitter, better athlete, I'm totally cool with that. I'll tip my hat to them and say to myself: 'I'll get ya next time..' That's the kind of stuff that makes me smile inwardly.

Regroup, Refocus. The topic of the day. Here's the plan from now until IMC.
Rest of this week: an easy build week.
Week 2: moderate/hard week, add an extra bike session
Week 3: easy week
Week 4: build week, running focused
Week 5: build week, cycling focused
Week 6: even split between 3 sports. Last 2.5 hr run
Week 7: taper commences, but will spike the swim mileage.
Week 8, 9 and 10: Full time taper mode.

About the only thing that may put a crimp into the plan is there is a Half Ironman in 2.5 weeks that I would like to do, at least to test out another nutrition strategy. My problem is that if I enter the event, I'll end up racing it and the subsequent recovery puts a crimp into the above 'plan.' What to do.. what to do..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What to do? Easy...listen to she who must be obeyed;)

Cliff said...

Darren,

That stomach issue is my concern for long distance racing..we know if the stomach shuts down..the race is over, not matter how fit/fast you are. :)

Keep working on it. I gotta test out boost as well. Wanna try a liquid diet on my next race.