Thursday, May 04, 2006

5k PB!

Did my monthly 5k 'test' run today and cracked off a PB. Yay me! :) Here is the breakdown of the run: 5k warmup, 5k hard, 3k cool down. My time for the 5k hard was 19:30, which is 24 seconds faster than my last 5k test. Now if I can improve 24 seconds everytime I do this test .... It's kind of wierd, my limiter seems to be my legs. My heart and lungs say "go faster" and my legs say "not gonna happen". I think with fresh legs and in an actual race, dropping that time by 90 seconds is a realistic possibility. Ever so slowly, I'm getting faster.
I recall reading that you can realistically see improvements in speed and endurance for the first 5 to 8 years. That's how long it takes to get good. So I have a ways to go, but it's still nice to see an improvement.

My second workout was some time trial work on the bike - yea running speed work followed by time trialing on the bike = fried legs. I did 1:15 on the spinner to a new dvd: coach Troy's Have Mercy 2.0. Spinning can get boring at times, but it's SO effective. You are always pushing gears, no rest, no coasting downhills, it's go go go. The downside is the scenery sucks. :)

Tomorrow I plan to do an easy run on the trails then hit the pool in the evening. Cheers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Darren,
Just got hold of your web sit.
Live 3 miles south of Alton in Cataract.
We should get together for some rides or runs. Your run times are compatable mine. I do duathlons.
Just got back from worlds in Cornerbrook where I finished 11th.
Give me a call if you are interested. It's Bob 519-927-5745