Saturday, May 13, 2006

The 'plan'

Actually, I'm not sure what the 'plan' is. This is in regarding tomorrow's race. You say: 'Darren, you are racing in less than 24 hrs, and you aren't sure of your plan?' I say: 'Yep'.
You see, I'm not fully tapered or rested as this is a B race for me. But on the other hand, I'd like to nail a good time (duh). The math indicates, I should be able to run sub 1:25, however I don't think that's realistic, so I'm going to aim for 1:28. I know.. I know, it's a 3 minute difference, big deal.
But, on the other hand, it's a fairly fast course, so posting a big PB is a possibility... Then again, if I go for the big PB, I have a very real chance of just blowing up at the 15k mark.. Perhaps I'll go for the big PB and if I blow up, I should still straggle in at 1:28, but if I don't blow up.. who knows?
Bah, I think I'll just play it by ear and run hard. Hey, that sounds like a good 'plan'. Just run hard. Phew, I'm glad we had this discussion. Thanks!

Here is the workout update: Yesterday I did an easy 6.5k run and my second workout was a 2700m swim. The main part of my swim set was a 10X 100m on 2 minutes. First length butterfly, the next 3 lengths are freestyle. Each one came in 1:18 or faster. So I got lots of rest between sets.
Why do I do set like this? Here is the reasoning: the first length (butterfly, the toughest stroke), produces lactate acid in the muscle, for the next 3 lengths (freestyle), I'm forced to deal with the lactate acid produced from the first length of butterfly. I then get enough rest to absorb some of the lactate acid, but not enough rest so that's it's dissapeared. So by the 6th set, it starts to get hard. I'm trying to get my body used to the elevated heart rate and lactate acid produced during the swim part of my triathlon.
There is method to the madness.

C'est tout for now. I'll update tomorrow with a quick race report. Cya!

2 comments:

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

So, how did the race go?

Reddog said...

Run Triguy Run!

Luck bro bro