Saturday, May 06, 2006

Weekend update

It's Saturday night and I just finished some chores around the house - yup, if you want to hang with me, it's life in the fast lane baby. Actually, I was procrastinating my household duties because I went for a long ride with Cliff.

Let me back up a bit, I emailed a few people on Wednesday about doing a long ride on Saturday (today). The weather forecast was looking iffy, so honestly, I didn't think anyone would want to come. But I said, the first scheduled group was May 6... and since I said it, I could not in good concious wimp out. So I figured I'd invite everyone, no one will come and I'll go do 3 hours on the trainer instead of biking in icky weather. (ok, so I admit I'm a fair weather cyclist) So, Cliff was the only one to call my bluff, for which I'm grateful.

Under the threat of rain and relentless wind, we set out to do a 120k horribly hilly route I mapped out. I admit, when I train, I'm a hardass. I see a hill, I want to climb it, I want to push my personal limits, not because I want win, I do it because I just simply love to train and wish to extend my personal limit. I think it's a zen thing or something. So when I go into Zen mode and I have a tendancy to forget that maybe others are not used to the hills, I suppose it's kind of selfish, but it's not meant to be.
The cool thing is that every time I looked back at Cliff , he's always has a grin on face. I like that attitude. No matter the conditions, the headwind, or the hills.. not one complaint and a big grin on his face.

We get to the 80k mark and I give him the option of extending the ride a bit, which will involve yet another particularly nasty climb, or cutting it short. He chooses the former. I think to myself, yup we are going to get along just fine. By now, the sun was out and wind was at our backs and we sailed home. What a great ride. Oh yea, I broke 80km/hr on the way home. Wheee!

Here is the last two days in a nutshell:
Friday: Run: easy 7k on the trails. Swim: 3000m, it consisted of a 1000m straight swim, 10X100 m on 2 minutes (first length butterfly) and some drill work.
Saturday: Bike: 120k followed by a short 2.5k run.

Eeep, long update.. I'm off to bed, got to get plenty of rest for tomorrow's long run. Cheers!

1 comment:

Reddog said...

80k an hour! I will say it again, YOU IZ FASS!!!

Wow the ride sounded awesome, great to see you found a kindred spirit in Cliff, some may call the ride you guys did crazee!

Be safe, Reddog