Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Still in recovery mode

Listen to your body! This is probably one of the biggest things I've learned over the last couple of years, how to effectively listen to what my body is telling me. All things come in to play here, sleep, eating habits, the previous days workouts, the previous week's workouts and one's own daily ups and downs.

I know it's too early to do anything intense, one does not engage in high intensity workouts a mere 3 days after a half marathon. My legs still have some minor residual soreness, but it's really not that bad and I did a 5.5k easy/recovery run without any problems.
Wednesday is also my swim day, I was feeling a little tired - didn't sleep so well last night. But swimming is great for recovery workouts, so I couldn't really come up with an excuse not to go. I have to do some long endurance type swimming and Wednesday is the day to do it. Besides feeling a little tired, I was having a hell of time trying to think of something fun to do in the pool. Endurance swimming comes down to logging laps and it can get tough being creative when the ultimate goal is to just get the laps in.
So I get to the pool and just started swimming, no sets, just laps. This lasts for 30 minutes before I start getting really bored. After my straight 30 minute 'set', I did a 10X200m alternate swim /pull set. So in the end I did roughly 4300 m. Not too shaboo.

No comments: