Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Status Quo

Are you content with being the status quo? I think most people are. I'm totally cool with that, who am I to judge you? You are the one that has to live up to your standards and no one else. If you are happy being Joe status quo, then by all means, fill your boots. The only real problem I have with the status quo is when they try to bring others to their level.
Example. Let's say Herb is trying to quit drinking. Herb's 'buddies' think this is foolish and exert a negative influence, thus making Herb's goal that much more difficult.

I'm not sure why it's human nature to try to bring others down when they are trying to accomplish something. It's a sad commentary about us. Why is it we envy others successes so much? I guess it's easier to be envious then to actually work and be a success yourself. Just because others don't 'get' what you are doing, doesn't mean you shouldn't be supportive. So, if you have a friend who trying to something new, or is expanding their horizons, clap him/her on the back and say ' you know, I think it's really cool you are doing such and such, way to go!'
Such simple words can go so far..

Alrighty then, on to today's workouts. It was a beautiful day in the neighbourhood, so I went for an easy 8k trail run. I'm not doing any hill or speed training this week, as I'm trying to give the legs a little bit of a break for the upcoming half marathon.

My second workout was a neat swim set:
4X400m on 6:15 (each one came in on 5:55, which gave me 20s rest)
8X200m on 3:15 (each one came on 2:55, again, 20s rest)
16X100m on 1:45
The last set was something I could really sink my teeth into. It reminded of my old swim days. Shorter intervals with slightly longer rest. Much more fun then the long endurance stuff. I started out on a 1:25/100m pace, but by the end of the set I was at 1:15 /100m. Not as fast I was 20 years ago.. but I was pleasantly happy with my swim today. The total mileage was 5,000m.

1 comment:

Cliff said...

Darren,

I agree. I now find myself asking, "am I supporting my friends or am I killing their dreams??"

One word and one encouragement makes a difference between day and night.