Sunday, May 28, 2006

Ironman weekend

Close, but not quite. Swam just over 3k on Friday night (an IM swim is 3.8k), Saturday's bike was 175k (an IM bike is 180) and today's run was 23k, combine that with Fridays' run and the total is 32k (an IM run is 42). I shall easily meet an exceed these distances over the 3 days. However, the REAL trick is doing them ALL on the same day. :)

Let's back track a bit. Saturday's ride was rather wicked. I did not end up going to Kitchener as my buddy Ian was tied up doing wedding stuff. So I did a similar ride as last weekend, just longer. Naturally I structured the route so that the hardest hill climbing was in the last 50k and by the end I was rather pooched. Lessons learned from Saturday's ride:
- no matter how easy you think you are going for the first 75k - it's not easy enough.
- pack some InfiniT concentrate. (InfiniT is what I use for fluid/fuel)
Even with multiple pee breaks, stop lights, a few dirt roads and some tough climbs, I was able to hold 30k/hr - it was a good session.

Today was a 2hr run in the heat. I hate heat. I hate humidity. And worse yet, I hate smog. Fortuneately, today wasn't too bad, however the forecast is predicting somewhat of a heat wave starting Tuesday. Must get myself acclimatized.
Actually, despite my bitching, the run went well. I was afraid my legs might be a little too pooched from yesterday's ride, but all things considered I felt pretty damned good. Could have easily extended the run, but was short on H2O, plus it was my 2nd long run in 6 days. Decided to play it smart (cough) and head home. Distance: 23k Time: 1:52.

Finally, Ironman Brazil is today. Here's a couple of pics:


Plenty more pictures available here.

The other cool thing about this race is that Gordo Bryn was in it. Gordo runs a little site called GordoWorld. A top notch site with alot of quality information that Gordo and company freely dole out. Gordo did an incredible 8:36 and placed 5th overall. Amazing. By the way, there was only 21 seconds between first and second, talk about a close race. Luke Bell led for the majority of the race and was passed in the very late stages of the marathon by Argentinean Oscar Galindez. An awesome race.

No comments: