Friday, March 31, 2006

Monthly mileage report, 5k time trial &training camp

Lots of stuff to catch up on. Here's the news in chronological order. Yesterday, 2 spin sessions of 2 hours each - done. Had to catch up on my bike trainer time and give the running legs a break. So 4 hours on the bike yesterday.

Today, my a.m. session was a 13k run. It went like this: warmup 5k, hard 5k, 3k easy. I like to a hard 5k once a month to guage fitness, it's a 90%+ effort and I use it that as an indicator of my current running speed. The good news is that all my focus on running is slowly but surely paying off. Today, I came in at 19:54, which I'm very happy with considering my best time all last year was 20:00 AND I'm in the middle of training camp. I would have been happy with a 21:00 and I broke 20 minutes. This bodes well... and it's only March!

I met two other IronPeople today. One woman who was at the local bike store - will be doing her seventh Ironman this year. Awesome. The other was a guy I met during my p.m. swim session who is heading down to Lake Placid for his second. Very cool indeed. It's always nice to meet people who think what we do is 'normal'.
As I mentioned, my p.m. session was at the pool, which was a moderate effort with a total of 2800 meters. The workout was as follows:
1000 warmup
10X100 on 1:45. First 25m butterfly, next 75m freestyle.
2X400 pull.

This finished up March and my totals for the month are:
Run: 244.5 km
Spin: 30:45 hrs
Swim: 27.7 km
Dryland: 10 hrs
A great month. I'm very happy with where my current fitness level is and this year is shaping up just fine thank you very much. :) I can't wait to race.

Lastly, I have 2 more days of training camp. On tap for tomorrow is 3 hour spin followed by a short run and then a 30k run Sunday. Yay!

2 comments:

Peter Lawson said...

That's awesome training mate, keep up the great work!!

Darren said...

Thanks Peter! Just finished up a tough week and I'm looking forward to some quality recovery now.
Happy training!