Sunday, March 19, 2006

Weekend update

An excellent training weekend. This weekend marked the end of a 3 week build cycle and was my toughest since training started a mere 11 weeks ago.
On Saturday I did 3 hours on the trainer, it was a great session on the new bike. I followed that up with a short 4k run. Yup, my first brick of season is done.
Today, was a 27k long run on tired legs. I broke the run into 3 sections. The first 9k: ok, who stole my legs? Tired, don't want to run, but luckily I found them after 6k. Whew. The next 3k was against the wind. I feel slow, like I'm running in molasses. I check my split at 9k - 5:03/km. Wow... much better than I thought. ( I like to maintain a 5:00/km pace for long runs).
The second third: this part of the run is hillacious. The goal is just to maintain the same pace as the first third. This requires some extra effort because the hills are wearing me down. My pace ended up being 5:06/km. Eep. Slowed down a bit, but not too shaboo. Finally the last 3rd. I was able to pick up the pace to 4:51/km, but I felt like I was running faster. :) Total run 27.3km.
The coming week is an easy training week. Some extra recovery time is on tap and I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: